Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default HASA 12% chlorine to household bleach amount of water

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 9:19:18 PM UTC-4, David Jensen wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 19:55:08 -0400, wrote:

How much do I dilute HASA chlorine to make household bleach?

Chlorox is 5%

When I tried to figure out the answer on my own, I found that the percent
is different whether it's a percent by volume or a percent by weight or
even a percent by "trade percent" (whatever that is).

All these different ways of measuring percent are confusing to me which is
why I asked the question.

This reference said the MSDS for "Clorox Regular Bleach" says it's 6.15%
sodium hypochlorite.
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive...hp/t-5852.html

But that still doesn't tell me which percent that is (by weight? by volume?
by available ppm of sodium hypochlorite?) so the numbers can be off by a
huge amount since I'd be comparing apples to oranges to bananas (weight
versus volume versus reactivity).

It doesn't really matter for your purposes if it's by weight or by
volume. If you add water by weight to double the amount or by
volume to double the amount, you're going to wind up with bleach
that is half the strength. There are some negligible differences,
but we're talking household bleach here, right?