Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default When we get old (er)

Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

the mechanic I now use couldn't care less and just checks
the obvious stuff like the tyres and lights and does the
mandatory brakes check with the meter they put on the
front passengers seat floor and go for a drive etc.

I once had a Bradford Van where the tester did that, and the
seat folded forward and threw the Tapley meter onto the floor.

Ours put the meter on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

The battery came loose, too, and dripped acid onto
the forecourt. We had had to hit one of the rear lights
to make it come on, and the kingpin slop was audible.
It passed, though. He liked Bradford Vans.

It wandered down the road, steering like an American
car from a 1950's film. I was glad to sell it.

Cant say I have ever come across one.

The parents had a Commer van with a prop
up roof that they turned into a campervan.