Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default When we get old (er)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 06:51:55 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 8/3/2016 3:08 AM, Tim Watts wrote:

isopropyl alcohol is my solvent of choice these days: I have never found
a plastic that it damages and it's adequate as a solvent (not as good as
carbon tet, but it does take off grease).

Many years ago, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean a plastic hairbrush
and put it down on the counter. I returned later, picked up the handle,
and the rest of the brush stayed, in little pieces, on the counter.

You just reminded me of an incident that happened when i worked in the
licensed trade.
When wine on draught first was first installed the customers were
given a free spray bottle of IPA that was intended to be sprayed over
the wine box and pipe connector to sterilise it .
One landord decided to spray a good quantity over his draught soft
drinks dispenser but unfortunately what ever type of plastic the
mechanism was made of reacted and shrank and cracked , this resulted
in several gallons of Cola and Lemonade leaking from the mechanism,
unfortunatly he had done is spray job just before going to bed so
didn't discover the leaks till morning.

G.Harman