Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair
Aardvarks Aardvarks is offline

Default Why would iOS be safer from spying than a well setup Android phone?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 04:21:07 -0000 (UTC), Aardvarks wrote:

But, Google Play account and Google Play Services aren't the same thing.

Does anyone on the Android side actually know, for sure, that deleting the
Google Play account and/or turning off Google Play services disables the
generation or use of the Advertising ID?

Facts only.

While I had already limited Google Play Services using App Ops Starter:
http://i.cubeupload.com/AAUQuo.gif

To test how the non-rooted Android device handles the lack of both a Google
Play account and Google Play Services, I removed or disabled these "apps"
from my Android phone using the Android Application Manager:
http://i.cubeupload.com/PV4AHO.gif

1. Removing the Google Play Store app:
http://i.cubeupload.com/aWDZ9H.gif

2. Disabling the Google Play Services app:
http://i.cubeupload.com/Y6XcAh.gif

3. Disabling the Google Services Framework app:
http://i.cubeupload.com/6h3Whb.gif

The result was that my admittedly cleanly organized desktop:
http://i.cubeupload.com/Uld6T3.gif

Just got cleaner, in that the Google Play app disappeared:
http://i.cubeupload.com/pkGmQ3.gif

And, even the "Google Settings" app disappeared!
http://i.cubeupload.com/DoKW6g.gif

Two facts:
a. Deleting the Google Play account removed all mention of the Advertising
ID (AdID) from the Android settings, but the "Google Settings" app icon
remained, which had a menu for the Advertising ID.

b. In addition, deleting and disabling the apps above, wiped out the
"Google Settings" app, so now there is zero mention of any ApID anywhere in
the Android device (that I can find).

One hypothesis for the Android aficionados:
- Have I entirely wiped out the AdID from my non-rooted device?
If not - where is it?