Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 200 quid for chips?

On Friday, 22 July 2016 01:36:01 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that.

I know that because I know what those whose dont
have english as their first language are more likely
to understand because I know so many of them.

maybe it's better to teach them English, rather than use emotions

Emotions, hieroglyphics or colour swatches.

I didnlt have to convert all the toilet this way signs to dunny this way for our australian staff and students.

No they'd ask the person serving wouldn't they

Better than they dont have to.

So how will they know what green tea is then ?

or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

If they were new members of staff they get taken
around the facilities and their Qs answered.

Better if they didnt have to ask that question.

So how will they know what green tea is then ?

In fact I know peole that drink green tea and it isn't green, so explain that.

not the elite acadent senior common room where
you get a free newspaper and waitress service.

And customers with much better english.

Not always, as a significant number of teh people that go there don;t have english as their first language and very few of the staff have their first language as English.
It is useful to have a default langauge in such places.

This is where the mainatance turn up and talk about football,

And plenty of those would have **** all english.

Most were English and were English from birth.

All completely irrelevant to whether those whose
first language isnt english are more likely to know
what tea with milk means than white tea.

They are here to learn and they come to English universities for a reason.

Pity about new staff members.

The new staff didn't seem to find it a problem.

You'll never know how many didnt know what white tea was
because you weren't there when they asked what it was.

Plenty of poel klnow what green tea is even if they've never had it.
We in teh UK have identified a type of tea by it's colour of it's most basic form in that it;'s eaither black, green or white when you drink it.
Of course there are mnay other divisions such as herb tea indian or chinese
then these individual type.
If someone doesn't know what earl grey tea is then they should find out by asking and not to have every single thing put on the menu.
I cant; go into a high end resturant and demand they put what each and every item is described so I can understand it.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

What does a white board tell you ?

No white board has ever told me anything.

Has a blackboard ?

What someone has written on it on the other hand...

they normaly write on the board not the hand.

does it tell you more or less than the term black board.

Irrelevant to the fact that the term white
board never got replaced to be PC.

No it got used as the board was white in colour.
What colour were blackboards ?

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.

Not if you don't know what milk was used

Even sillier than you usually manage.

considering the stay with was actually black or white tea and black or white coffee since the place opened about 3 years earlier.