Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 200 quid for chips?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Capitol wrote

England and Wales, with Northern Ireland and Scotland
free to go their own ways and also to have a government
which is responsible to me, which I can remove if it fails!

Good to see the little Englanders alive and spewing.

No little Englander involved when he includes Wales, stupid.

And he isnt spewing either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2016 01:13, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Capitol wrote

England and Wales, with Northern Ireland and Scotland free to go
their own ways and also to have a government which is responsible to
me, which I can remove if it fails!

Good to see the little Englanders alive and spewing.

No little Englander involved when he includes Wales, stupid.
And he isnt spewing either.

He did say they were going their own way, along with the rest of what
was the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:37:19 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 11:14:25 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 11 July 2016 17:10:18 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
On 11/07/2016 09:23, tabbypurr wrote:

So when the vote goes your way, people voted rightly and when it
doesnt they were 'tricked.' Oh, and now the outcome doesn't suit
you you want some other options instead.

The problem with the referendum is that neither side will get what
they voted for if they voted against immigration or better funding
of the NHS or any of the other promises made by people that
couldn't deliver them. So yes, a lot were tricked into voting one
way.

I'd say there's little doubt that the vote was won by those whose aim
was to end immigration. And give the government a good kicking. They
almost

certainly wasn't why I voted as I did.

Didn't say you did. Given the small percentage majority, it didn't need
that many to whom immigration was the primary issue to swing the vote.

I take it you never watched TV? In those areas where there was a large
majority to leave, the most common topic by far was immigration.

Strange wasn't it I wonder why the don't want immigration or want to reduce it.

Many of those who 'don't want immigration (and voted Leave because of
it) simply don't want 'foreigners' in *their* country. What they don't
understand is that it isn't *their* country it's *our* country and
there many of us who are far more open minded / and happy to mix with
other cultures.

The next layer of people don't mind *some* 'foreigners' but they don't
like others (or various nationalities or even colours, even if they
were actually born in England).

The next layer might actually generally accept *all* 'foreigners' but
would still vote Leave because of 'all those' who are 'taking homes,
jobs, healthcare and welfare' away from 'English people' (ignoring the
fact that there may be far fewer doing that than contributing).

Another layer would be those who don't want particular religious
practiced in 'this country, so no 'Muslims' should be allowed here for
example, or the wearing of any clothing that is part of that (like the
Burka).

Then it's just 'those foreigners' who seem to cause trouble (ignoring
any natives who cause trouble for some reason).

Then there are those who just don't like the ghettoisation by any
non-native people (but are happy with native people doing the same,
like 'inner Londoners' moving out into to certain places in the
country). Not like we do in Spain or anything.

And you have those who don't generally like 'foreigners', except any
of those they have bothered to take the time to talk to and find (in
general) that they are just ordinary people trying to do the best from
themselves and their families.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and coming
across someone who may be a different colour to me, if I smile at them
and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally would anyone) I nearly
always get a smile or reply in return. I do so partly because that's
just what I'm like and partly because, like young people with old, I
want to make it clear I have nothing against them (the number of times
our daughter has smiled or said 'hello' to an elderly person in
passing (or holding a door open etc) and then have completely blanked
her).

When I have actually talked to people about what they call
'foreigners' ... most people will often refine their more blanket
attitude and refine it to one (or more) of the points above. If you
then explain the position from the 'foreigners' POV, some then modify
their previously hard-line views even further (often referencing all
the 'foreigners' they know or have worked with and saying how nice
they were).

I have spoken to many people who have traveled round the world
(typically on motorcycles) and they have *all* said how welcoming and
generous 99.9% of the people they met were, often when they had very
little themselves.

The other .1% were probably just bad people anyway or also 'disliked
foreigners' for some / no reason.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Capitol wrote

England and Wales, with Northern Ireland and Scotland
free to go their own ways and also to have a government
which is responsible to me, which I can remove if it fails!

Good to see the little Englanders alive and spewing.

No little Englander involved when he includes Wales, stupid.
And he isnt spewing either.

He did say they were going their own way,
along with the rest of what was the UK.

Still no little Englander involved when they go their own way.

And now spewing at all either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

and many more wanted immigration controlled.

What they don't
understand is that it isn't *their* country it's *our* country and
there many of us who are far more open minded / and happy to mix with
other cultures.

I agree but there are some that don't agree with every culture that is present in the UK, and don't want to have to follow that culture.

The next layer of people don't mind *some* 'foreigners' but they don't
like others (or various nationalities or even colours, even if they
were actually born in England).

You also have to realise that some don't like the culture or the way the person acts behaves and that is down to culture rather than colour, but like with wasps bees and other animals sometiome the colour or dress indicates the type of person you are. So you need to be able to tell these people apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Then there are those who just don't like the ghettoisation by any
non-native people (but are happy with native people doing the same,
like 'inner Londoners' moving out into to certain places in the
country). Not like we do in Spain or anything.

Threr are tgose that dontl; see anyhting wrong in selling their home in
one country and moving to another and buying a home their. What these
people might see as wrong is where you give up your home in one country
and get given a home in another country, when residetn of that country
can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to the natives and
those that have been in the UK for 20+ years and have worked and paid
taxes for 20+ years.

You mean like buying a holiday home in some pretty little village and
pushing the locals out? Forcing the council to find accommodation for them?

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 14:37:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Then there are those who just don't like the ghettoisation by any
non-native people (but are happy with native people doing the same,
like 'inner Londoners' moving out into to certain places in the
country). Not like we do in Spain or anything.

Threr are tgose that dontl; see anyhting wrong in selling their home in
one country and moving to another and buying a home their. What these
people might see as wrong is where you give up your home in one country
and get given a home in another country, when residetn of that country
can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to the natives and
those that have been in the UK for 20+ years and have worked and paid
taxes for 20+ years.

You mean like buying a holiday home in some pretty little village and
pushing the locals out? Forcing the council to find accommodation for them?

Did that actually happen ?
Who paid for sall the holiday villas to be put up in spain.
Do you think those that come to the UK are buying holiday homes in London ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17067246
Spain ****ed up that's what happened .

I suppose it waqs the brits that cause Ciudad Real Central Airport to be abondoned, buy buying to much property in spain.

While here in the UK we're told foreign investors are good for the economy
so why aren't brit investors good for the spanish economy ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36298590

A Spanish friend of mine having lived and rented in London for 20 years
has just brought a flat in Barcelona as she can't afford a flat in London.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:38:00 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

My deep at fryer is taking too long to provide my faraggio of potatage.
Before I brexitit can anyone tell me a good reason besides saving on fuel
why I would do better spending hundreds rather than tens on the Nexit?

http://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appli...g%2Bappliances

All it's got to do is get hot & lift the chips out. What do you think?

Oven chips are far healthier anyway.

and taste frigging awful

YMMV

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:38:00 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

My deep at fryer is taking too long to provide my faraggio of
potatage. Before I brexitit can anyone tell me a good reason besides
saving on fuel why I would do better spending hundreds rather than
tens on the Nexit?

http://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appli...g%2Bappliances

All it's got to do is get hot & lift the chips out. What do you think?

Oven chips are far healthier anyway.

If you want healthy, don't eat chips at all.

I'd rather have decent chips once in a while than vastly inferior oven
chips often,

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:38:00 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

My deep at fryer is taking too long to provide my faraggio of
potatage. Before I brexitit can anyone tell me a good reason besides
saving on fuel why I would do better spending hundreds rather than
tens on the Nexit?

http://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appli...g%2Bappliances

All it's got to do is get hot & lift the chips out. What do you think?

Oven chips are far healthier anyway.

If you want healthy, don't eat chips at all.

I'd rather have decent chips once in a while than vastly inferior oven
chips often,

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

tim

I prefer roast potatoes really. FWLIW! So I wouldn't spend anything on a chip fryer.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
T i m wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
dennis@home wrote
[...]

Indeed.

What they don't understand is that it isn't *their* country
it's *our* country and there many of us who are far more
open minded / and happy to mix with other cultures.

I agree but there are some that don't agree
with every culture that is present in the UK,

Hardly anyone does.

and don't want to have to follow that culture.

No one does have to.

The next layer of people don't mind *some* 'foreigners'
but they don't like others (or various nationalities or
even colours, even if they were actually born in England).

You also have to realise that some don't like the culture or
the way the person acts behaves and that is down to culture
rather than colour, but like with wasps bees and other animals
sometiome the colour or dress indicates the type of person
you are. So you need to be able to tell these people apart.

And some choose to wear very distinctive stuff like
turbans that makes them stand out like dogs balls.

The next layer might actually generally accept *all* 'foreigners' but
would still vote Leave because of 'all those' who are 'taking homes,
jobs, healthcare and welfare' away from 'English people' (ignoring
the fact that there may be far fewer doing that than contributing).

But those people should also know that the govenrment can't count.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

So most people that have a brain will use their own eyes
and expeience to judge rather than govenment stats.

That is never going to be anything like as useful as the stats.
For example you're not going to be able to come up with that
rather surprising info that London is actually one of the 5th or
so citys with the most french people in it that Boris came up
with without the stats.

Another layer would be those who don't want particular
religious practiced in 'this country, so no 'Muslims' should
be allowed here for example, or the wearing of any clothing
that is part of that (like the Burka).

That sounds more like France to me.

Plenty in Britain would like to see the same ban.

Then it's just 'those foreigners' who seem to cause trouble
(ignoring any natives who cause trouble for some reason).

How do you tell teh natives from the others ?

Those are the ones stuffing fish and chips and pies
and peas and bacon sarnys into their mouths, stupid.

Then there are those who just don't like the ghettoisation
by any non-native people (but are happy with native people
doing the same, like 'inner Londoners' moving out into to certain
places in the country). Not like we do in Spain or anything.

Threr are tgose that dontl; see anyhting wrong

Clearly completely blotto, already.

in selling their home in one country and moving to another
and buying a home their. What these people might see as
wrong is where you give up your home in one country and
get given a home in another country, when residetn of that
country can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to
the natives and those that have been in the UK for 20+ years
and have worked and paid taxes for 20+ years.

Just as true of Spain.

And you have those who don't generally like 'foreigners',
except any of those they have bothered to take the time
to talk to and find (in general) that they are just ordinary
people trying to do the best from themselves and their families.

and those that import 'foreigners' because they really like them,
chea[p labour cheap sex or even slavery or prostitition. companies
emploing 'foreigners' because it;s cheaper than employing those
already in teh country whether 'foreigners' or not.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and
coming across someone who may be a different colour to me,
if I smile at them and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally
would anyone) I nearly always get a smile or reply in return.

You haven't done it much then have you.

I do so partly because that's just what I'm like and partly because,
like young people with old, I want to make it clear I have nothing
against them (the number of times our daughter has smiled or
said 'hello' to an elderly person in passing (or holding a door
open etc) and then have completely blanked her).

That's because of her rabid blood shot eyes and flecks of foam about the
lips.

Only the English do that is that what you are saying.
you also seem very transfixed on colour perhaps those your
daughter talked to were white but NOT English but Polish.

When I have actually talked to people about what they call
'foreigners' ... most people will often refine their more blanket
attitude and refine it to one (or more) of the points above. If you
then explain the position from the 'foreigners' POV, some then modify
their previously hard-line views even further (often referencing all
the 'foreigners' they know or have worked with and saying how nice
they were).

This is true but this is because of the way you are counting incidents
and don;t seem to realise that people take certain aspects of another
in order to not like them or use that as their point of refernce.

You won;t get a fat person calling another fat person
a fat ****head they may just call them a ****head.

Plenty of our wogs call each other stupid wogs.

The fat part is just something to focus on and it
IS NOT the main point of why you dislike them.

I have spoken to many people who have traveled
round the world (typically on motorcycles)

Yes wel, we all hate those ******* bikers don't we on their
harelys riding up and down the street reving their engines
keeping everyone awake getting in fights with the locals.
See the majority of bikers are hells angels.

and they have *all* said how welcoming and
generous 99.9% of the people they met were,
often when they had very little themselves.

The other .1% were probably just bad people anyway
or also 'disliked foreigners' for some / no reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

[...]

Presumably some of it must have with the place sold to some non local having
previously been rented out to a local who has to move somewhere else.

Who paid for sall the holiday villas to be put up in spain.

Far fewer of the holiday places in Britain are new places.

Do you think those that come to the UK
are buying holiday homes in London ?

Some of them are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17067246
Spain ****ed up that's what happened .

I suppose it waqs the brits that cause Ciudad Real Central
Airport to be abondoned, buy buying to much property in spain.

While here in the UK we're told foreign investors are good for the
economy so why aren't brit investors good for the spanish economy ?

They are and the Spanish economy would implode without them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36298590

A Spanish friend of mine having lived and rented in London for 20 years
has just brought a flat in Barcelona as she can't afford a flat in London.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:38:00 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

My deep at fryer is taking too long to provide my faraggio of
potatage. Before I brexitit can anyone tell me a good reason besides
saving on fuel why I would do better spending hundreds rather than
tens on the Nexit?

http://www.tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appli...g%2Bappliances

All it's got to do is get hot & lift the chips out. What do you think?

Oven chips are far healthier anyway.

If you want healthy, don't eat chips at all.

I'd rather have decent chips once in a while than vastly inferior oven
chips often,

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

tim

I prefer roast potatoes really.

Me too.

FWLIW! So I wouldn't spend anything on a chip fryer.

I haven't even bothered with a dirt cheap one from a garage/yard/boot sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:53:49 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

I agree but there are some that don't agree
with every culture that is present in the UK,

Hardly anyone does.

So there are lots of people that don't like another culture.
That can equate to a lot of layent racism

and don't want to have to follow that culture.

No one does have to.

Really.

What about the German 100 year-old nudist group that have been told to cover up.
What about the gradual removal of pork from some German schools because muslims amonst others dont; eat it ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7096001.html

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

And some choose to wear very distinctive stuff like
turbans that makes them stand out like dogs balls.

or sore thumbs, like people with tattos or piecings or strange hair styles.

So most people that have a brain will use their own eyes
and expeience to judge rather than govenment stats.

That is never going to be anything like as useful as the stats.

The stats mean nothing to those that don;t belive them or when they disagree with perosnal and shared experiences.

For example you're not going to be able to come up with that
rather surprising info that London is actually one of the 5th or
so citys with the most french people in it that Boris came up
with without the stats.

Two french girlfriends, one french ex flatmate, 2 french friends within a mile...

I beleiev Boros when he says that French people live in London.
Same as I do if he said australians live in london I have 4 AUS friends so it's not that hard for me to believe. But niether are they the majoroty of people in London.

Another layer would be those who don't want particular
religious practiced in 'this country, so no 'Muslims' should
be allowed here for example, or the wearing of any clothing
that is part of that (like the Burka).

That sounds more like France to me.

Plenty in Britain would like to see the same ban.

How many is plenty a handful....

Then it's just 'those foreigners' who seem to cause trouble
(ignoring any natives who cause trouble for some reason).

How do you tell teh natives from the others ?

Those are the ones stuffing fish and chips and pies
and peas and bacon sarnys into their mouths, stupid.

Shows you how little you know doesn't it.

in selling their home in one country and moving to another
and buying a home their. What these people might see as
wrong is where you give up your home in one country and
get given a home in another country, when residetn of that
country can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to
the natives and those that have been in the UK for 20+ years
and have worked and paid taxes for 20+ years.

Just as true of Spain.

No it isn't because the majority of those going to spain as expats have retired where as the majority of spanish coming to the UK are young looking for work.

why would the spanish want to retire to a soggy little island ?

why would anyone want to retire to a soggy little island ?

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and
coming across someone who may be a different colour to me,
if I smile at them and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally
would anyone) I nearly always get a smile or reply in return.

You haven't done it much then have you.

I do so partly because that's just what I'm like and partly because,
like young people with old, I want to make it clear I have nothing
against them (the number of times our daughter has smiled or
said 'hello' to an elderly person in passing (or holding a door
open etc) and then have completely blanked her).

That's because of her rabid blood shot eyes and flecks of foam about the
lips.

Who's daughter was she ?

You won;t get a fat person calling another fat person
a fat ****head they may just call them a ****head.

Plenty of our wogs call each other stupid wogs.

But white people would be called racist that's the point, treating people differntly for no reason is worng.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I agree but there are some that don't agree
with every culture that is present in the UK,

Hardly anyone does.

So there are lots of people that don't like another culture.

Dont like EVERY culture.

That can equate to a lot of layent racism

Nothing to do with racism.

and don't want to have to follow that culture.

No one does have to.

Really.

Yep, really.

What about the German 100 year-old nudist
group that have been told to cover up.

That isn't following the one culture they dont agree with.

It might be if some had to follow the nudist culture that
they didnt agree with, but no one ever has to do that.

What about the gradual removal of pork from some German
schools because muslims amonst others dont; eat it ?

They are free to pig out on the pork at home.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7096001.html

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

Nothing whatever to do with culture.

And you should have told them to go and **** themselves.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

You should have told them to go and **** themselves.

And some choose to wear very distinctive stuff like
turbans that makes them stand out like dogs balls.

or sore thumbs, like people with tattos
or piecings or strange hair styles.

Those arent mandated by a culture.

So most people that have a brain will use their own eyes
and expeience to judge rather than govenment stats.

That is never going to be anything like as useful as the stats.

The stats mean nothing to those that don;t belive them

Doesnt matter what they believe.

or when they disagree with
perosnal and shared experiences.

Irrelevant to the stats.

For example you're not going to be able to come up
with that rather surprising info that London is actually
one of the 5th or so citys with the most french people
in it that Boris came up with without the stats.

Two french girlfriends, one french ex
flatmate, 2 french friends within a mile...

Says nothing useful about how that compares with French citys.

I beleiev Boros when he says that French people live in London.

That wasnt what he said.

Same as I do if he said australians live in london

He didnt say anything like that either.

I have 4 AUS friends so it's not that hard for me to believe.
But niether are they the majoroty of people in London.

Again, nothing like what Boris said.

[...]

Corse it is.

because the majority of those going to spain as
expats have retired where as the majority of spanish
coming to the UK are young looking for work.

Irrelevant to whether they have paid taxes for 20+ years.

why would the spanish want to retire to a soggy little island ?

why would anyone want to retire to a soggy little island ?

God knows, but plenty do. Born stupid presumably.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and
coming across someone who may be a different colour to me,
if I smile at them and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally
would anyone) I nearly always get a smile or reply in return.

You haven't done it much then have you.

I do so partly because that's just what I'm like and partly because,
like young people with old, I want to make it clear I have nothing
against them (the number of times our daughter has smiled or
said 'hello' to an elderly person in passing (or holding a door
open etc) and then have completely blanked her).

That's because of her rabid blood shot
eyes and flecks of foam about the lips.

Who's daughter was she ?

You've stripped the attributions, stupid.

You won;t get a fat person calling another fat person
a fat ****head they may just call them a ****head.

Plenty of our wogs call each other stupid wogs.

But white people would be called racist that's the point,

They are white people.

treating people differntly for no reason is worng.

There is a reason, they are wogs, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 July 2016 11:49:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I agree but there are some that don't agree
with every culture that is present in the UK,

Hardly anyone does.

So there are lots of people that don't like another culture.

Dont like EVERY culture.

It would be impossible to like every culture as most of them will conflict
with another culture at some pont.

That can equate to a lot of layent racism

Nothing to do with racism.

results in the same thing.

What about the German 100 year-old nudist
group that have been told to cover up.

That isn't following the one culture they dont agree with.

Who do they have to agree with it.

It might be if some had to follow the nudist culture that
they didnt agree with, but no one ever has to do that.

No they don't so why do the nudist have to change their way of life. ?

What about the gradual removal of pork from some German
schools because muslims amonst others dont; eat it ?

They are free to pig out on the pork at home.

As are those that are free not to have eat it at home.
So why can;t equality be set where you can eat it if you want to but can;t stop another eating it just because you don;t want to eat it.
What's wrong with that ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7096001.html

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

Nothing whatever to do with culture.

Yes it is, when culture is part of the way you run your life.

And you should have told them to go and **** themselves.

There are adminiostrators they can't do anything of any practical use in the real world.

And some choose to wear very distinctive stuff like
turbans that makes them stand out like dogs balls.

or sore thumbs, like people with tattos
or piecings or strange hair styles.

Those arent mandated by a culture.

they can be and a culture is developed by the people not controlled by an elite group that's what's important about culture.

How can you know so little.

So most people that have a brain will use their own eyes
and expeience to judge rather than govenment stats.

That is never going to be anything like as useful as the stats.

The stats mean nothing to those that don;t belive them

Doesnt matter what they believe.

It does that's the point people vote on what they believe.

or when they disagree with
perosnal and shared experiences.

Irrelevant to the stats.

stats are Irrelevant, it's how people feel.

For example you're not going to be able to come up
with that rather surprising info that London is actually
one of the 5th or so citys with the most french people
in it that Boris came up with without the stats.

Two french girlfriends, one french ex
flatmate, 2 french friends within a mile...

Says nothing useful about how that compares with French citys.

IU;d assume they are French people living in French cities.
Thre were certainly quite a few in Nice when they interviewed people after the truck attack.

I beleiev Boros when he says that French people live in London.

That wasnt what he said.

So what did Boris say ?
What he actually said not what you or anyone esle thinks he said.

Another layer would be those who don't want particular
religious practiced in 'this country, so no 'Muslims' should
be allowed here for example, or the wearing of any clothing
that is part of that (like the Burka).

That sounds more like France to me.

Plenty in Britain would like to see the same ban.

How many is plenty a handful....

How many is plenty and is this a statistic or not.

in selling their home in one country and moving to another
and buying a home their. What these people might see as
wrong is where you give up your home in one country and
get given a home in another country, when residetn of that
country can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to
the natives and those that have been in the UK for 20+ years
and have worked and paid taxes for 20+ years.

Just as true of Spain.

No it isn't

Corse it is.

Then show me some spanish ex-pats living in London.

because the majority of those going to spain as
expats have retired where as the majority of spanish
coming to the UK are young looking for work.

Irrelevant to whether they have paid taxes for 20+ years.

it is relivant because they have being paying tax for most of their life.
Spain is pretty hot on taxes

No the Spanish aren't coming to the UK to retire ****wit.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and
coming across someone who may be a different colour to me,
if I smile at them and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally
would anyone) I nearly always get a smile or reply in return.

You haven't done it much then have you.

I do so partly because that's just what I'm like and partly because,
like young people with old, I want to make it clear I have nothing
against them (the number of times our daughter has smiled or
said 'hello' to an elderly person in passing (or holding a door
open etc) and then have completely blanked her).

That's because of her rabid blood shot
eyes and flecks of foam about the lips.

Who's daughter was she ?

You've stripped the attributions, stupid.

How do yuo know this persons daughter so well ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 7/20/2016 1:07 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I really don't see a problem with changing the bar menu. The English
language moves on, customs move on, and menus need to be updated.

As an example, there was for many years a sign on the A41 just north of
Apex Corner that read "Slow Down - Cripples Crossing".

It was outside John Grooms Crippleage. The sign was there all through my
childhood.

Of course, now the sign has been altered to something far more mundane.
The Crippleage is now John Grooms Association For Disabled People.
Nobody has lost out through this change, and some people have gained.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 July 2016 13:14:00 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.
They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took over.
Of course the orginal staff club was sold it's now some sort of muslim centre.
Other things were changing too of course all going very PC' still doing it.
I told them where to go when they said because women can only collect post not parcels I was getting the job of delivering them, I've changed their mind on that one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I really don't see a problem with changing the bar menu. The English
language moves on, customs move on, and menus need to be updated.

Of course yuo don;t see a problem until you have to do it.

White tea
Black Tea

simple enough

White tea with sugar
black tea with sugar

Tea with Milk
Tea without Milk

Tea with Milk with sugar
Tea without Milk with sugar

Do you see how many more characters are needed and how this will take up space on menu board but me doing it on a WP still meant I needed a smaler font which not everyone could read.

Whn I was runninng it I believed prices should be clear and readable from a reasonable distance by all not hidden up high on a wall out of sight.

As an example, there was for many years a sign on the A41 just north of
Apex Corner that read "Slow Down - Cripples Crossing".

what does it say now ?

It was outside John Grooms Crippleage. The sign was there all through my
childhood.

Yes my parents used to tell me about history too it wasn;t all good.

Of course, now the sign has been altered to something far more mundane.

Such as what ?

The Crippleage is now John Grooms Association For Disabled People.
Nobody has lost out through this change, and some people have gained.

Well of course, but do drivers stioll have to slow done to ensure they get a good hit and plenty of points ;-)

Are all disabled people criples ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

I agree but there are some that don't agree
with every culture that is present in the UK,

Hardly anyone does.

So there are lots of people that don't like another culture.

Dont like EVERY culture.

It would be impossible to like every culture as most of
them will conflict with another culture at some pont.

Irrelevant to the sort of mentality that is silly enough
to proclaim that all cultures are equally valid and
that we should treat them all equally and revel in
the diversity, regardless of how different they are etc,
even if they are very hard line on the man being the
one who decides everything in the household etc.

That can equate to a lot of layent racism

Nothing to do with racism.

results in the same thing.

Nope. And it isn't even culturalism either.

What about the German 100 year-old nudist
group that have been told to cover up.

That isn't following the one culture they dont agree with.

Who do they have to agree with it.

No one.

It might be if some had to follow the nudist culture that
they didnt agree with, but no one ever has to do that.

No they don't so why do the nudist have to change their way of life. ?

They dont.

What about the gradual removal of pork from some German
schools because muslims amonst others dont; eat it ?

They are free to pig out on the pork at home.

As are those that are free not to have eat it at home.
So why can;t equality be set where you can eat it if
you want to but can;t stop another eating it just
because you don;t want to eat it.
What's wrong with that ?

Nothing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7096001.html

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

Nothing whatever to do with culture.

Yes it is, when culture is part of the way you run your life.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

And you should have told them to go and **** themselves.

There are adminiostrators they can't do
anything of any practical use in the real world.

Irrelevant to what you should have done.

And some choose to wear very distinctive stuff like
turbans that makes them stand out like dogs balls.

or sore thumbs, like people with tattos
or piecings or strange hair styles.

Those arent mandated by a culture.

they can be

Nope.

and a culture is developed by the people not controlled
by an elite group that's what's important about culture.

They dont mandate that everyone must behave like that.

So most people that have a brain will use their own eyes
and expeience to judge rather than govenment stats.

That is never going to be anything like as useful as the stats.

The stats mean nothing to those that don;t belive them

Doesnt matter what they believe.

It does that's the point people vote on what they believe.

Not on something like the point Boris was making.

or when they disagree with
perosnal and shared experiences.

Irrelevant to the stats.

stats are Irrelevant,

Not to the point Boris was making.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

I beleiev Boros when he says that French people live in London.

That wasnt what he said.

So what did Boris say ?

You deleted that from the quoting.

Not going to bother with silly **** like this.

in selling their home in one country and moving to another
and buying a home their. What these people might see as
wrong is where you give up your home in one country and
get given a home in another country, when residetn of that
country can't afford homes of their own, and this applies to
the natives and those that have been in the UK for 20+ years
and have worked and paid taxes for 20+ years.

Just as true of Spain.

No it isn't

Corse it is.

Then show me some spanish ex-pats living in London.

Those who do that for work, stupid.

because the majority of those going to spain as
expats have retired where as the majority of spanish
coming to the UK are young looking for work.

Irrelevant to whether they have paid taxes for 20+ years.

it is relivant because they have being
paying tax for most of their life.

Not to Spain they haven't.

Spain is pretty hot on taxes

Not with the Brit expats they arent.

Vast numbers of ****wit poms retire to that soggy little frigid island,
****wit.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and
coming across someone who may be a different colour to me,
if I smile at them and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally
would anyone) I nearly always get a smile or reply in return.

You haven't done it much then have you.

I do so partly because that's just what I'm like and partly because,
like young people with old, I want to make it clear I have nothing
against them (the number of times our daughter has smiled or
said 'hello' to an elderly person in passing (or holding a door
open etc) and then have completely blanked her).

That's because of her rabid blood shot
eyes and flecks of foam about the lips.

Who's daughter was she ?

You've stripped the attributions, stupid.

How do yuo know this persons daughter so well ?

If I told you that I'd have to kill you, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did. They might not have known what green tea was then in
the mid 1990s. I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee
meant and had done for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10
years before I took over.

But only right to change it into something everyone would understand.
You've got to move with the times.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

You surely weren't so tight as to charge extra for a splash of milk in tea
and the sugar?

No wonder everyone wanted it changed.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Because the reason was obvious.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.

I'm sure they did, but just thought that their form would be
understood by more, particularly those who arent natives.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took
over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

Of course the orginal staff club was sold it's now some sort of muslim
centre.
Other things were changing too of course all going very PC' still doing
it.

I dont believe there was anything PC about it.

I told them where to go when they said because women
can only collect post not parcels I was getting the job of
delivering them, I've changed their mind on that one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Irrelevant. What matters is how many more are likely
to understand what is meant with the second form,
particularly with new non native staff members.

and how this will take up space on menu board

Even sillier than you usually manage.

but me doing it on a WP still meant I needed
a smaler font which not everyone could read.

Whn I was runninng it I believed prices should
be clear and readable from a reasonable distance
by all not hidden up high on a wall out of sight.

And they obviously believe that it makes sense
to be obvious to as many people as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 July 2016 18:15:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it, or it was done as part of a menu or price change.
I'd never recieved compliants about no one understanding what black or white coffee was. At that time we didn't have decaff or green tea dind;t even have cream or lemon availble.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Because the reason was obvious.

Yes someone wanted to be seen as PC someone looking for promotion, that's the reason there was no other reason. Someone wanted to seen to be in charge of the staff social club when previous the 50 year old women used to do everything from making the tea to writing the menu and deciding what to serve based on those using the service.
But they managed to close it down in the end as it got to expensive and combersome to run with so 'many' staff and few users.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.

I'm sure they did, but just thought that their form would be
understood by more, particularly those who arent natives.

Thgose using the facilities knew what was on offer and had done for years.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took
over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

New staff memebers could learn what the terms meant justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Of course the orginal staff club was sold it's now some sort of muslim
centre.
Other things were changing too of course all going very PC' still doing
it.

I dont believe there was anything PC about it.

Why would they sell a building in the middle of the street where they were buying up property to expand the uni.
They replaced the bank, the car spares shop and other buildings along the road.

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...mism_1_4182266

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...isconduct.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...-a6775696.html

Not that I"ve noticed anything dodgy or worrying, they respect me when I tell them they can't pray in the lab and move out and find somewhere else.
Where they go is not my concern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Irrelevant.

It's not irrelivant.

What matters is how many more are likely
to understand what is meant with the second form,
particularly with new non native staff members.

True so what will new members understand.
What is "Tea without Milk with sugar" on a mobile phone
how would you get someone to order the above for you via a smartphone.

and how this will take up space on menu board

Even sillier than you usually manage.

It does it had actual characters on a pin type board.
A syuo're too thick to understand that characters on a menu take up physical space thin k of this as an early version of twitter where you only have 60 odd charcaters on a line.

but me doing it on a WP still meant I needed
a smaler font which not everyone could read.

Whn I was runninng it I believed prices should
be clear and readable from a reasonable distance
by all not hidden up high on a wall out of sight.

And they obviously believe that it makes sense
to be obvious to as many people as possible.

Which is why it's impotyent to have large clear text of whats on offer.
Same with TV's most people know what a black & white TV is but start to call it a monochromatic TV .....

as you got confused over what the word mono meant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

or it was done as part of a menu or price change.
I'd never recieved compliants about no one
understanding what black or white coffee was.

Its unlikely that anyone who didnt understand
it would even know that you were the one to
complain to or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

At that time we didn't have decaff or green tea
dind;t even have cream or lemon availble.

Irrelevant.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Because the reason was obvious.

Yes someone wanted to be seen as PC
someone looking for promotion, that's
the reason there was no other reason.

That is your stupid assumption
with no basis for it what so ever.

Someone wanted to seen to be in charge of the staff social
club when previous the 50 year old women used to do
everything from making the tea to writing the menu and
deciding what to serve based on those using the service. But
they managed to close it down in the end as it got to expensive
and combersome to run with so 'many' staff and few users.

Irrelevant to the wording being discussed.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.

I'm sure they did, but just thought that their form would be
understood by more, particularly those who arent natives.

Thgose using the facilities knew what
was on offer and had done for years.

Pity about new staff members.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took
over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

New staff memebers could learn what the terms meant

Makes more sense for them to not have to.

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 12:30:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that. All they had to sell was eoither tea or coffee no choice in brands or skinny or full fat no americanos or other options.
Just with or without milke sugar you added yourself so the option wasn't really neccessary anyway.

or it was done as part of a menu or price change.
I'd never recieved compliants about no one
understanding what black or white coffee was.

Its unlikely that anyone who didnt understand
it would even know that you were the one to
complain to .

No they'd ask the person serving wouldn't they and if that person had to keep repeating what the prodect was then something would be done.

or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

If they were new members of staff they get taken around the facilities and their Qs answered.

At that time we didn't have decaff or green tea
dind;t even have cream or lemon availble.

Irrelevant.

Very relivent to those using the facilities.
You see this was the workers scial club not the elite acadent senior common room where you get a free newspaper and waitress service.
This is where the mainatance turn up and talk about football, you justy don't get requests for skinny lattes it;s pints of beer or mugs of tea were the big sellers guiness for some reaon being the best seller and what kept the place going.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Because the reason was obvious.

Yes someone wanted to be seen as PC
someone looking for promotion, that's
the reason there was no other reason.

That is your stupid assumption
with no basis for it what so ever.

They were trying to close the place own because they wanted the space.
They;d already moved up from the decicated staff social club to a basement they'd opened up, you couldn't see daylight.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.

I'm sure they did, but just thought that their form would be
understood by more, particularly those who arent natives.

Thgose using the facilities knew what
was on offer and had done for years.

Pity about new staff members.

The new staff didn't seem to find it a problem.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took
over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

New staff memebers could learn what the terms meant

Makes more sense for them to not have to.

it makes more for then to ask.
Or are they sure it's full fat milk or half fat or semi-slimmed or reduced fat, or rice milk or soya milk how will they know what milk was used.
How to new peolpe know what a skinny latte is ?
Does it make you lose weight ?

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

What does a white board tell you ?
does it tell you more or less than the term black board.

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.

Not if you don't know what milk was used you might just as well say white tea as yuo'd say white board white cliffs of dover it's a description, a tea without milk can be green or even with lemon or mint added.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that.

I know that because I know what those whose dont
have english as their first language are more likely
to understand because I know so many of them.

All they had to sell was eoither tea or coffee no choice
in brands or skinny or full fat no americanos or other
options. Just with or without milke sugar you added
yourself so the option wasn't really neccessary anyway.

All completely irrelevant to whether those whose
first language isnt english are more likely to know
what tea with milk means than white tea.

or it was done as part of a menu or price change.
I'd never recieved compliants about no one
understanding what black or white coffee was.

Its unlikely that anyone who didnt understand
it would even know that you were the one to
complain to .

No they'd ask the person serving wouldn't they

Better than they dont have to.

and if that person had to keep repeating what
the prodect was then something would be done.

Yeah, like tell you to use tea with milk instead of white tea.

or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

If they were new members of staff they get taken
around the facilities and their Qs answered.

Better if they didnt have to ask that question.

At that time we didn't have decaff or green tea
dind;t even have cream or lemon availble.

Irrelevant.

Very relivent to those using the facilities.

But not to whether it is better to have the
price board say white tea or tea with milk.

You see this was the workers scial club

Which is much more likely to have workers
whose first language isnt english.

not the elite acadent senior common room where
you get a free newspaper and waitress service.

And customers with much better english.

This is where the mainatance turn up and talk about football,

And plenty of those would have **** all english.

[...]

You'll never know how many didnt know what white tea was
because you weren't there when they asked what it was.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had
done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I
took over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

New staff memebers could learn what the terms meant

Makes more sense for them to not have to.

it makes more for then to ask.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

What does a white board tell you ?

No white board has ever told me anything.

What someone has written on it on the other hand...

does it tell you more or less than the term black board.

Irrelevant to the fact that the term white
board never got replaced to be PC.

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.

Not if you don't know what milk was used

Even sillier than you usually manage.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2016 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard. The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum. This only lasted a
couple of years, and blackboard is (of course) a correct term and in use
(where you still see blackboards - rare nowadays).

I experienced the rounds with this calling things coloured black other
names. It was well intentioned, if a bit silly IMO. I don't see the
point in becoming wound up about it.

If words/terms are gendered unnecessarily, I'm all in favour of making
them gender neutral.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Utterly bizarre. I've never seen a menu that itemised milk and sugar -
with the possible exception of those 'latte skinny mocca' things.

Was this for special needs punters or non-English speakers?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard. The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum. This only lasted a
couple of years, and blackboard is (of course) a correct term and in use
(where you still see blackboards - rare nowadays).

Is there some department that goes round looking to make up nonsensical
names under the guise of being PC? Or just a local busybody?

I experienced the rounds with this calling things coloured black other
names. It was well intentioned, if a bit silly IMO. I don't see the
point in becoming wound up about it.

So what colour do I call my black car? Has black been removed from tins of
black paint?

If words/terms are gendered unnecessarily, I'm all in favour of making
them gender neutral.

I'm certainly in favour of not using words that offend necessarily. But
black isn't - and never was - one of them.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard. The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum. This only lasted a
couple of years, and blackboard is (of course) a correct term and in use
(where you still see blackboards - rare nowadays).

Is there some department that goes round looking to make up nonsensical
names under the guise of being PC? Or just a local busybody?

I suspect there was some journal article or other that led to a
departmental edict. It certainly wasn't supported by the front line
staff. IME these sorts of things arise from people who think they're
doing the right thing but have no real idea what they're talking about.

I experienced the rounds with this calling things coloured black other
names. It was well intentioned, if a bit silly IMO. I don't see the
point in becoming wound up about it.

So what colour do I call my black car? Has black been removed from tins of
black paint?

Be calm - you can call them black, it's safe :-)

If words/terms are gendered unnecessarily, I'm all in favour of making
them gender neutral.

I'm certainly in favour of not using words that offend necessarily. But
black isn't - and never was - one of them.

Quite. In one job I had (for 10 years) 90%+ of the students were black
and they were, on the whole, utterly bemused by all of this.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
Is there some department that goes round looking to make up nonsensical
names under the guise of being PC? Or just a local busybody?

I suspect there was some journal article or other that led to a
departmental edict. It certainly wasn't supported by the front line
staff. IME these sorts of things arise from people who think they're
doing the right thing but have no real idea what they're talking about.

I worked for a pretty large organisation at one time, and don't remember
any of this nonsense being promoted.
Seems to be most common in organisations where there were people employed
with no real job.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RJH wrote:
Is there some department that goes round looking to make up nonsensical
names under the guise of being PC? Or just a local busybody?

I suspect there was some journal article or other that led to a
departmental edict. It certainly wasn't supported by the front line
staff. IME these sorts of things arise from people who think they're
doing the right thing but have no real idea what they're talking about.

I worked for a pretty large organisation at one time, and don't remember
any of this nonsense being promoted.
Seems to be most common in organisations where there were people employed
with no real job.

There was the time at BBC Television Centre where the staff restaurant had
"Spotted Richard" on the pudding menu!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

There was the time at BBC Television Centre where the staff restaurant had
"Spotted Richard" on the pudding menu!

Better than "Spotted penis" though... ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 July 2016 01:36:01 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that.

I know that because I know what those whose dont
have english as their first language are more likely
to understand because I know so many of them.

maybe it's better to teach them English, rather than use emotions

Emotions, hieroglyphics or colour swatches.

I didnlt have to convert all the toilet this way signs to dunny this way for our australian staff and students.

No they'd ask the person serving wouldn't they

Better than they dont have to.

So how will they know what green tea is then ?

or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

If they were new members of staff they get taken
around the facilities and their Qs answered.

Better if they didnt have to ask that question.

So how will they know what green tea is then ?

In fact I know peole that drink green tea and it isn't green, so explain that.

not the elite acadent senior common room where
you get a free newspaper and waitress service.

And customers with much better english.

Not always, as a significant number of teh people that go there don;t have english as their first language and very few of the staff have their first language as English.
It is useful to have a default langauge in such places.

This is where the mainatance turn up and talk about football,

And plenty of those would have **** all english.

Most were English and were English from birth.

All completely irrelevant to whether those whose
first language isnt english are more likely to know
what tea with milk means than white tea.

They are here to learn and they come to English universities for a reason.

Pity about new staff members.

The new staff didn't seem to find it a problem.

You'll never know how many didnt know what white tea was
because you weren't there when they asked what it was.

Plenty of poel klnow what green tea is even if they've never had it.
We in teh UK have identified a type of tea by it's colour of it's most basic form in that it;'s eaither black, green or white when you drink it.
Of course there are mnay other divisions such as herb tea indian or chinese
then these individual type.
If someone doesn't know what earl grey tea is then they should find out by asking and not to have every single thing put on the menu.
I cant; go into a high end resturant and demand they put what each and every item is described so I can understand it.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

What does a white board tell you ?

No white board has ever told me anything.

Has a blackboard ?

What someone has written on it on the other hand...

they normaly write on the board not the hand.

does it tell you more or less than the term black board.

Irrelevant to the fact that the term white
board never got replaced to be PC.

No it got used as the board was white in colour.
What colour were blackboards ?

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.

Not if you don't know what milk was used

Even sillier than you usually manage.

considering the stay with was actually black or white tea and black or white coffee since the place opened about 3 years earlier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 July 2016 07:21:22 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 21/07/2016 13:55, whisky-dave wrote:

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

IME at least you're wrong there. When I did my teacher training
(mid-90s) we were 'told' to use the word chalkboard.

Why ?

The teaching staff
were pretty embarrassed about this, but ho hum.

embarrassed about what ?

Even when I was at school, this came up in the mid 70s.
The physics lab had a green board installed.
As I pointed out to my coloured friend who'd I'd be introduced to as chalkie
a year or som ealier. We could understand why it should be called a blackboard because it was no longer black or a board, but it was called a chalboard.
NOT a green board or a blackboard, and considering it wasn't even a board we asked the physics teach why we were calling it a board. when it;s a bit cloth that goes up and down. he just said he;s calling it a a chalkboard from now on.
Well he tried to and got a bit annoyed when we shouted out chalkbaord when ever he asked us to copy down what he'd written on the black board.

This only lasted a
couple of years, and blackboard is (of course) a correct term and in use
(where you still see blackboards - rare nowadays).

I experienced the rounds with this calling things coloured black other
names. It was well intentioned, if a bit silly IMO. I don't see the
point in becoming wound up about it.

If words/terms are gendered unnecessarily, I'm all in favour of making
them gender neutral.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

what makes you think that.

I know that because I know what those whose dont
have english as their first language are more likely
to understand because I know so many of them.

maybe it's better to teach them English,

Not even possible with most of them.

Couple of my mates have married their kids and the
most they ever get out of her parents is a wave when
they show up. They have virtually no english at all.

rather than use emotions

Completely off with the ****ing fairys as always.

Presumably completely blotto, as always.

Emotions, hieroglyphics or colour swatches.

See above.

none of the rest of your even sillier **** worth bothering with