Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] pinballpiers@gmail.com is offline

Default Plasterboarding a wall

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:46:19 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/07/2016 16:37, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 24/07/2016 10:03, Robin wrote:
On 23/07/2016 21:56, John Rumm wrote:

Given that a) I might be working alone and b) the ceiling is 9ft high,
would I be best using 6x3ft sheets of PB?

They are easier to handle, but there is not much in it to be fair. I
managed about 50 sheets of 8x4 mostly by myself when I did my loft at
the last place.

FSVO "not much". 12.5mm Gyproc:

8x4 is 24 kg
6x3 is 14 kg

Though I admit that for us weedy, doddering titches without arms like
orang-utans there's
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Clamps/sd10/Roughneck+Plasterboard+Carrier/p60073

Yup those are good for toting boards of any type about.

If you need to PB a ceiling, then make one of:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dead_man_prop

Not sure about "offering a board up" to a 9ft high ceiling on my own.

Once you are working on a ceiling you can't reach from the floor, the
actual height does not make that much difference (within reason!) I found..

It helps to have a platform of some form to work from (a hop up, box,
create etc, or a couple of scaffold boards supported on something
appropriate).

Basically if you can get a board balanced above your head briefly, then
its quite easy to get the prop under it and let it take the weight. Then
its just a case of positioning it, before pulling the prop in a bit
tighter (the "spring" you get from the bendyness of the prop makes this
very easy - you can choose how hard it pushes up).

This looks more like my kind of toy. ;-)

https://www.manomano.co.uk/plasterin...IqcRoC3QXw_wcB

Tis very pretty, and I am sure it will do a splendid job.

I have one of these (got it off ebay for slightly cheaper a few years ago) and frankly it's awesome. I couldn't imagine plasterboarding a ceiling without it. I use 8x4 sheets (because they're easy with the machine) and there's then fewer to put up. When I don't need it it collapses down reasonably small and gets stored in a shed. I have a big property I'm working my way through, so it makes sense - I wouldn't bother for just one room though - would just get some help for the few sheets required.

Some other poster suggested there might be a problem with the bit that holds the sheet being fixed in relation to the feet so it can be hard to reach some locations. I can't actually remember if the hoist freely rotates with respect to the feet - but I've never had a problem getting the sheets right up to the wall.

I'm not denying that a wood prop can do the job - but I do struggle to see how it could be anything like as easy fitting a 4x8 sheet on your own with a wood prop as with the hoist.

To be fair I was sceptical about the wood prop when a builder mate of
mine suggested it. I was surprised how well it actually worked. Also on
the bright sire it only cost a couple of quid, and I got to use it for
something else when I was done with it.

--
Cheers,

John.