Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboarding a wall

rick wrote:
On 7/23/2016 4:35 PM, Tim+ wrote:
I've spent a couple of days removing manky old lath and plaster, rewiring
and replumbing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw64fjiz7v...2013.jpeg?dl=1

My daughter was going to get a man in to plasterboard the wall and build a
new door frame for a new back door but having gone this far I'd like to see
it through myself.

I've not plasterboarded myself but can't see that it's gonna be too hard,
particularly if it gets a plaster coat on top.

Given that a) I might be working alone and b) the ceiling is 9ft high,
would I be best using 6x3ft sheets of PB?

Would I stagger the joins across wall using a 6 + 3 ft piece followed by 3
+ 6 ft piece?

For a kitchen/dining room (well away from sink & countertops) what
thickness and type of PB should I use?

Tim

I'd stick to 8x4 and split them if need be for your handling to 4x4
For a wall use 12mm and for ceiling 9.5mm
Stagger all joints.

Well I've just discovered that I CAN get 6x3 ft boards in the boot of a jag
so that consideration will probably trump all others. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:46:19 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/07/2016 16:37, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 24/07/2016 10:03, Robin wrote:
On 23/07/2016 21:56, John Rumm wrote:

Given that a) I might be working alone and b) the ceiling is 9ft high,
would I be best using 6x3ft sheets of PB?

They are easier to handle, but there is not much in it to be fair. I
managed about 50 sheets of 8x4 mostly by myself when I did my loft at
the last place.

FSVO "not much". 12.5mm Gyproc:

8x4 is 24 kg
6x3 is 14 kg

Though I admit that for us weedy, doddering titches without arms like
orang-utans there's
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Clamps/sd10/Roughneck+Plasterboard+Carrier/p60073

Yup those are good for toting boards of any type about.

If you need to PB a ceiling, then make one of:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dead_man_prop

Not sure about "offering a board up" to a 9ft high ceiling on my own.

Once you are working on a ceiling you can't reach from the floor, the
actual height does not make that much difference (within reason!) I found..

It helps to have a platform of some form to work from (a hop up, box,
create etc, or a couple of scaffold boards supported on something
appropriate).

Basically if you can get a board balanced above your head briefly, then
its quite easy to get the prop under it and let it take the weight. Then
its just a case of positioning it, before pulling the prop in a bit
tighter (the "spring" you get from the bendyness of the prop makes this
very easy - you can choose how hard it pushes up).

This looks more like my kind of toy. ;-)

https://www.manomano.co.uk/plasterin...IqcRoC3QXw_wcB

Tis very pretty, and I am sure it will do a splendid job.

I have one of these (got it off ebay for slightly cheaper a few years ago) and frankly it's awesome. I couldn't imagine plasterboarding a ceiling without it. I use 8x4 sheets (because they're easy with the machine) and there's then fewer to put up. When I don't need it it collapses down reasonably small and gets stored in a shed. I have a big property I'm working my way through, so it makes sense - I wouldn't bother for just one room though - would just get some help for the few sheets required.

Some other poster suggested there might be a problem with the bit that holds the sheet being fixed in relation to the feet so it can be hard to reach some locations. I can't actually remember if the hoist freely rotates with respect to the feet - but I've never had a problem getting the sheets right up to the wall.

I'm not denying that a wood prop can do the job - but I do struggle to see how it could be anything like as easy fitting a 4x8 sheet on your own with a wood prop as with the hoist.

To be fair I was sceptical about the wood prop when a builder mate of
mine suggested it. I was surprised how well it actually worked. Also on
the bright sire it only cost a couple of quid, and I got to use it for
something else when I was done with it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Plasterboarding andrew UK diy 0 February 27th 11 03:25 PM
Plasterboarding Graham Jones[_3_] UK diy 6 July 13th 10 09:22 AM
Plasterboarding - how to level all the supporting batterns across a long wall? tester UK diy 20 April 24th 07 12:03 PM
Plasterboarding ceiling Staffbull UK diy 10 October 14th 06 11:11 PM
Plasterboarding Stud Wall [email protected] UK diy 15 June 5th 05 02:09 PM