Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Corbyn must be ~50 years out of date.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articlegZSdnSN2_8729w7KnZ2dnUU78KnNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT TVs
rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue when
everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

So you are suggesting that our memories of GPO Telecoms must be
distorted, it was in fact a modern dynamic company with the customer's
interests first and foremost, and a keen eye on deploying cutting edge
technology as soon as it became available?

I am suggesting some of that, yes. Do some research on System X. Digital
transmission systems in conjunction with the BBC. And so on.

I don't like monopolies, so competition was obviously needed. Just how the
old GPO would have adapted to that can only be conjecture. The PO side of
it did pretty well. But of course had to be sold off as anything in public
ownership is *a bad thing*. Except, of course, the police. Armed forces.
And anything which was in private hands but failed. Need some names of
those?

However, are you really saying our present telephone etc system is perfect?

The GPO had a small TDM exchange operating in 1962. Mixed analog,
didital. One of the cleverest designs I've ever seen. Still in limited
use up to around 1990.