Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Corbyn must be ~50 years out of date.

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 22/07/2016 12:38, John Rumm wrote:

Can you imaging ordering your GPO "internet" facility, and having to
wait six months for an engineer to come out and install your GPO
branded dial up modem, which you rent from them at £4/month extra. Oh,
and you can't have it near the computer, you will need to move that to
the hall!

And not being able to even connect any modern technology* to the phone
line without themselves approving it first. Anyone want to buy an
up-to-date 14.4k modem? We will get around to approving 28.8k modems
some time in the next few years.?

Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT TVs
rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue when
everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

But the BBC didn't *force* viewers to buy or rent their TVs from
the BBC, did they ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2016 14:55, John Rumm wrote:

No, but in spite of its many problems it is still a world class
telecomms company, and has advanced unrecognisably from its GPO roots.

But sadly, it has built its new TCPIP-based phone system around
Chinese spying technology.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 22/07/2016 12:38, John Rumm wrote:

Can you imaging ordering your GPO "internet" facility, and having to
wait six months for an engineer to come out and install your GPO
branded dial up modem, which you rent from them at £4/month extra. Oh,
and you can't have it near the computer, you will need to move that to
the hall!

And not being able to even connect any modern technology* to the phone
line without themselves approving it first. Anyone want to buy an
up-to-date 14.4k modem? We will get around to approving 28.8k modems
some time in the next few years.?

Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT TVs
rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue when
everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

The BBC didn't try to stop anyone using anything they wanted to receive
their broadcasts.

If the old GPO/BT rules/regulations still existed we would still have to
use the old B/W mono analogue system because the wide-screen LCD colour
TVs would take another two years to be approved for connection.
I recall that even phone extension leads had to be approved before
connecting to the phone network. However, rules/regulations were
designed to be broken, by both retailers and customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/16 23:09, Andrew wrote:
On 22/07/2016 13:14, NY wrote:

The other sure-fire way of killing any industry is to split it into lots
of separate business centres which charge each other money to do
business with each other, and expend money and time in keeping track of
these costs,

Really ?. Apple, Google, Amazon, Ebay and Starbucks have been doing
this for years.

How else are you going to ensure that the work is done where the market
is, but the profits are taken where the tax is lowest?

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/16 23:11, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

They would have done, if they could.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."
"Don't what?"
"Think about Gay Marriage."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 23/07/16 23:11, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

Why should they have needed to. Listeners equipemnt was not directly
connected to the BBC's equipment.

-

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Huge wrote:
And as soon as you start having internal charging, you discover that a
significant part of the work of the company is done undocumented on
a "best effort" basis that no-one knew about. This is particularly
"amusing" when you outsource that function and either that work no
longer gets done, or the outsourcer starts to charge for it.

That was a famous bit about the BBC record library. It cost more to hire
an LP from them than it cost to buy - assuming still current. So some
producers sent an assistant out to buy the record instead. But I'll bet
didn't include how much sending that person cost.

During my first job, one of the engineers decided that it cost more in his
time to sharpen a pencil, than throwing it away and getting a new one from
the stationary cupboard

I don't think anybody was under any illusions that this was economically the
best thing to do, but it was funny anyway

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articlegZSdnSN2_8729w7KnZ2dnUU78KnNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT TVs
rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue when
everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

So you are suggesting that our memories of GPO Telecoms must be
distorted, it was in fact a modern dynamic company with the customer's
interests first and foremost, and a keen eye on deploying cutting edge
technology as soon as it became available?

I am suggesting some of that, yes. Do some research on System X. Digital
transmission systems in conjunction with the BBC. And so on.

I don't like monopolies, so competition was obviously needed. Just how the
old GPO would have adapted to that can only be conjecture. The PO side of
it did pretty well. But of course had to be sold off as anything in public
ownership is *a bad thing*. Except, of course, the police. Armed forces.
And anything which was in private hands but failed. Need some names of
those?

However, are you really saying our present telephone etc system is perfect?

The GPO had a small TDM exchange operating in 1962. Mixed analog,
didital. One of the cleverest designs I've ever seen. Still in limited
use up to around 1990.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Pretty standard for many UK industries at that time both state
and private. Take the maximum you possibly can out of them.

That is a bare faced lie with the most successful private ones.

Now see how many still exist.

You'd be hard pressed to find any consumer goods made in the UK these
days. Unlike Germany.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
And not being able to even connect any modern technology* to the phone
line without themselves approving it first. Anyone want to buy an
up-to-date 14.4k modem? We will get around to approving 28.8k modems
some time in the next few years.?

Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT
TVs rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue
when everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

But the BBC didn't *force* viewers to buy or rent their TVs from the
BBC, did they ?.

Good to know things still go totally over your head.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

the other pencil story was when some company decided that people were using
too many pencils and you would only get a new one on presntation of a stub.
Suddenly pencil use increased enormously - everybody cut up their newly
issued pencil into small pieces nad then acquired 6 or 7 new ones.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Absolutely. Just like the BBC starting TV in black and white with mono
sound rather than in colour and stereo. And insisting we used tiny CRT
TVs rather than widescreen LCD. Why indeed did they ever use analogue
when everyone knows now that digital is the way to go?

The BBC didn't try to stop anyone using anything they wanted to receive
their broadcasts.

Thanks for missing the point.

If the old GPO/BT rules/regulations still existed we would still have to
use the old B/W mono analogue system because the wide-screen LCD colour
TVs would take another two years to be approved for connection.
I recall that even phone extension leads had to be approved before
connecting to the phone network. However, rules/regulations were
designed to be broken, by both retailers and customers.

If you think it reasonable to be so sure a state owned industry never
changes, does that apply to the NHS?

Does that stick with technology from 40 years ago? How come so many state
owned companies from other countries now run parts of our railway and
utilities, etc?

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Pretty standard for many UK industries at that time both state
and private. Take the maximum you possibly can out of them.

That is a bare faced lie with the most successful private ones.

all UK industries then. Now see how many still exist.

Nothing to do with taking the maximum possible out,
everything to do with the union riddled operations
not being even remotely competitive with Korea,
Japan, China, India etc etc etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find any consumer
goods made in the UK these days.

For the reason I listed.

Unlike Germany.

How odd that British aircraft engine industry leaves the
kraut operations for dead. Same with Airbus components.

British car manufacturing was always a steaming turd
compared with what the krauts had, nothing to do with
taking the maximum possible out of the operation.
Everything to do with you lot not having a ****ing clue
about how to design and make cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
And as soon as you start having internal charging, you discover that a
significant part of the work of the company is done undocumented on
a "best effort" basis that no-one knew about. This is particularly
"amusing" when you outsource that function and either that work no
longer gets done, or the outsourcer starts to charge for it.

That was a famous bit about the BBC record library. It cost more to hire
an LP from them than it cost to buy - assuming still current. So some
producers sent an assistant out to buy the record instead. But I'll bet
didn't include how much sending that person cost.

During my first job, one of the engineers decided that it cost more in his
time to sharpen a pencil, than throwing it away and getting a new one from
the stationary cupboard

At least he wouldn't have had to run around looking for the cubboard!

I don't think anybody was under any illusions that this was economically the
best thing to do, but it was funny anyway

tim

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
all UK industries then. Now see how many still exist.

Nothing to do with taking the maximum possible out,
everything to do with the union riddled operations
not being even remotely competitive with Korea,
Japan, China, India etc etc etc.

Ah. Right. Back on to your favourite hobby horse. Explain Germany, then.

Of course the likes of you would be positively delighted to see the UK
have the same sort of working conditions as the worst in India. Now try
seeing how that would go down in your little country.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

all UK industries then. Now see how many still exist.

Nothing to do with taking the maximum possible out,
everything to do with the union riddled operations
not being even remotely competitive with Korea,
Japan, China, India etc etc etc.

Ah. Right. Back on to your favourite
hobby horse. Explain Germany, then.

Germany has never actually been stupid enough to have
anything like the terminal ****wit unions you lot have had.

When Nissan set up in Britain, it was never actually stupid
enough to employ anyone who had ever 'worked' in any of the
car plants that your ****wit unions had driven into the ground.

Of course the likes of you would be positively delighted to see the
UK have the same sort of working conditions as the worst in India.

More of your flagrant dishonesty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Your ****wit unions are only happy if they get paid far too much.

Yes Wodney. You've already made it plain the way
forward for the UK is to have workers paid the
same as in third world countries so it can compete.

Never ever said anything even remotely
like that, you silly little pathological liar.

You've just said the reasons for a union
is for workers to be paid far too much.

Everyone can see for themselves that I never ever said anything
even remotely like that, you silly little pathological liar.

If I'm mistaken, please explain.

You originally made a spectacular fool of yourself when you
stupidly claimed that what keeps the workforce happy is the
investment in productivity improvement. In fact you terminal
****wit unions in your car industry have always vehemently
oppose the use of robots and other dramatic productivity
improvements, What ACTUALLY keeps them happy is
paying them a lot more than they are worth.

Not just in the car industry either. Some of the tube
operations were designed right from the start to be
completely automatic and only need someone there
to deal with equipment breakdowns and very unusual
events like some arsehole setting off a bomb etc. And
yet management is actually stupid enough to actually
have some monkey drive the ****ing train in person
all the time and pay them in excess of £55K a year
for what should just be a machine minder who just
twiddles his thumbs until something stops working.