BOB URZ

Default airbags

Sofie wrote:

Michael Turner:
You are EXACTLY correct...... a huge liability and safety issue.

Yes, there is liability. yes you need to know what your doing.
Can you fix them yourself if your knowledgeable and prepared?
Yes.

I repaired them on my 1990 ford taurus. It took much research to do it.
Most aftermarket manuals have NO information on the airbag systems.
(due to liability issues no doubt). I had to get the Ford factory manuals
to find the information. I discovered many issues that can affect operation.
Just the grounding of the sensors can affect operation.
So in some cases, just undoing the sensors and prepping the mount
surface from rust and corrosion will do the trick.

You have to follow the shop manuals instructions. Usually, this involves
disconnecting the battery and powering down the car for x amount of time before
you touch anything. This is very important.

In my case, i regrounded the sensors and replaced a few.
Even after that, i still had a blinking air bag light.
After replacing the air bag diagnostic module, i finally got mine
fixed.

Mine was a older car. I used salvaged parts. Many people consider
this NOT kosher. My spin is if they were working on the car they came off of,
they should be usable on my car. and they were.
Better have used parts and no airbag light than a blinking light
and NO airbags. Is it a 100% guarantee they will be OK? NO.
But better than no airbags at all if they were disabled by a blinking
code.

The rules for working on airbags are having the factory manuals,
researching all the error code blinks and what they mean, and being
more than careful. Its not for the faint of heart. If your technically
competent, you can do it with the proper stuff. If your not,
pay someone to do it.

Bob