Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 200 quid for chips?

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was
asked to change the menus in the bar from saying
white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or without milk.

And that was a perfectly sensible thing to do.

If there was a point to it,

Of course there was, the description is more obvious to more
people, particularly those whose first language isnt english.

or it was done as part of a menu or price change.
I'd never recieved compliants about no one
understanding what black or white coffee was.

Its unlikely that anyone who didnt understand
it would even know that you were the one to
complain to or that they would bother to complain,
particularly if they were new staff members etc.

At that time we didn't have decaff or green tea
dind;t even have cream or lemon availble.

Irrelevant.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Because the reason was obvious.

Yes someone wanted to be seen as PC
someone looking for promotion, that's
the reason there was no other reason.

That is your stupid assumption
with no basis for it what so ever.

Someone wanted to seen to be in charge of the staff social
club when previous the 50 year old women used to do
everything from making the tea to writing the menu and
deciding what to serve based on those using the service. But
they managed to close it down in the end as it got to expensive
and combersome to run with so 'many' staff and few users.

Irrelevant to the wording being discussed.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I think they did.

I'm sure they did, but just thought that their form would be
understood by more, particularly those who arent natives.

Thgose using the facilities knew what
was on offer and had done for years.

Pity about new staff members.

They might not have known what green tea was then in the mid 1990s.
I think everyone knew what black and white tea/coffee meant and had done
for some time as they'd been a staff socail club 10 years before I took
over.

Not necessarily true of new staff members.

New staff memebers could learn what the terms meant

Makes more sense for them to not have to.

justy like they have to with blackboards or sorry we now call them
chalk boards we have white boards now by no black boards.

But they are still called white boards, not marker boards etc.

If kids want to know what a biro or a pen is they can still find out.

Makes a lot more sense to say with or without milk.