Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default DIY self install Aircon?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 23:53:34 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Anyone ever done one of these at all, the wall mount split system ones?

Yup, me. ;-)

Be interested to know of what experiences anyone has had.

Well, it was pretty straightforward really (but that may depend on the
make and model etc).

As it happened I had a hole though the outside wall that was there for
a wall mounted gas heater flue and the hoses came with isolation
valves and quick connects that made splitting the hoses easy.

I mounted the external unit on the outside wall (I think I 'hangs'
from two screws first then held down with one or two more), poked the
two gas hoses, one condensate drain hose and one cable (to power the
fan, from memory) back though the hole and hooked them up to the floor
standing unit inside.

As an aside ... a mate had one of the low level wall mounted units
fitted and has since remove and re-fitted it himself but it wasn't a
split unit but one with a through wall hose.

Yesterday I *fixed* [1] the small exhaust hose though wall unit he
picked up a couple of years ago for his shop by cleaning the main
filter and stripping the panels and cleaning the dust from the hot
side rad (that didn't have a filter for some reason).

Cheers, T i m

[1] It also involved 3D printing an adaptor plate to convert the large
hole on the output to the smaller hose he had though the wall to
minimise the leakage of hot air back into the system and causing it to
shut the compressor down. He has a bigger unit on it's way tomorrow so
I can see my core drill being required again. ;-)