Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 200 quid for chips?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 20 July 2016 14:58:25 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 7/20/2016 1:07 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
When I was secretary of our staff socail club I was asked to change
the
menus in the bar from saying white tea/coffee to tea/coffee with or
without milk.

They refused to give me a reason for changing it.

Probably that no one understood what white tea was. Green tea, yes.

I really don't see a problem with changing the bar menu. The English
language moves on, customs move on, and menus need to be updated.

Of course yuo don;t see a problem until you have to do it.

White tea
Black Tea

simple enough

White tea with sugar
black tea with sugar

Tea with Milk
Tea without Milk

Tea with Milk with sugar
Tea without Milk with sugar

Do you see how many more characters are needed

Irrelevant. What matters is how many more are likely
to understand what is meant with the second form,
particularly with new non native staff members.

and how this will take up space on menu board

Even sillier than you usually manage.

but me doing it on a WP still meant I needed
a smaler font which not everyone could read.

Whn I was runninng it I believed prices should
be clear and readable from a reasonable distance
by all not hidden up high on a wall out of sight.

And they obviously believe that it makes sense
to be obvious to as many people as possible.