Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Framing Lumber

Why do studs cost more than 8 footers, and consist of crappier lumber.

Seriously. Kiln dried 2x4 8s in two different stores were cheaper and
mostly straight. Their stud length was wet, moldy, twisted, splintering and
split, and atleast 10% (maybe more) had signs of powder post beatle damage.
I decided it wasn't worth the convenience of not having to cut a few inches
off the end.

I found the same thing with the 2X6s.

I just bought 8 footers and spent an hour lopping off the ends with the
miter saw. Framing is so much nicer with decent lumber.

I hope nobody is actually building houses with that crap.