Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint help for kitchen.

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 14:18:29 UTC+1, Stuart Faust wrote:

Hi, my kitchen walls have started to peel.
Not sure if its the old house owners have used normal paint or not sealed the plaster before painting.

plaster needn't be sealed

My questions are :-

1. I have areas that i have used a stripper blade on to remove the paint and areas that it seems are far harder to remove. Whats the best and easiest way of removing this old paint. will a heat gun remove it? paint stripper chemicals?

Imagine painting new paint on top of stripper soaked plaster. No. Scrape, sand or skim if necessary, but normally there's no need to remove anything that's stuck.

2. When its all removed i will have left , bare plaster.
What sort of paint do i need to use to sort this out?

Emulsion. Satin is more cleanable than matt, and decent stuff more cleanable than cheapskate.

I've been told by a local DIY shop to use contract matt paint and use 2 coats.
and no need for kitchen paint.

Satin's better

I've read about putting PVA mixed on the first few coats so starting to get confused on how i should proceed.

PVAing the plaster is a fashion without need. Paint onto bare dry plaster results in the liquid in the paint being sucked into the plaster, leaving it short of glue, hence the peeling. Solutions:
a) 50/50 diluted ****coat first
b) paint the plaster with water, wait 5 minutes then paint as normal.
c) dilute PVA onto plaster first. Too much and you get slicks paint won't stick to.
I prefer B, it's quicker & stronger. C I'd avoid.

NT