Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 200 quid for chips?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:37:19 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 11:14:25 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 11 July 2016 17:10:18 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
On 11/07/2016 09:23, tabbypurr wrote:

So when the vote goes your way, people voted rightly and when it
doesnt they were 'tricked.' Oh, and now the outcome doesn't suit
you you want some other options instead.

The problem with the referendum is that neither side will get what
they voted for if they voted against immigration or better funding
of the NHS or any of the other promises made by people that
couldn't deliver them. So yes, a lot were tricked into voting one
way.

I'd say there's little doubt that the vote was won by those whose aim
was to end immigration. And give the government a good kicking. They
almost

certainly wasn't why I voted as I did.

Didn't say you did. Given the small percentage majority, it didn't need
that many to whom immigration was the primary issue to swing the vote.

I take it you never watched TV? In those areas where there was a large
majority to leave, the most common topic by far was immigration.

Strange wasn't it I wonder why the don't want immigration or want to reduce it.

Many of those who 'don't want immigration (and voted Leave because of
it) simply don't want 'foreigners' in *their* country. What they don't
understand is that it isn't *their* country it's *our* country and
there many of us who are far more open minded / and happy to mix with
other cultures.

The next layer of people don't mind *some* 'foreigners' but they don't
like others (or various nationalities or even colours, even if they
were actually born in England).

The next layer might actually generally accept *all* 'foreigners' but
would still vote Leave because of 'all those' who are 'taking homes,
jobs, healthcare and welfare' away from 'English people' (ignoring the
fact that there may be far fewer doing that than contributing).

Another layer would be those who don't want particular religious
practiced in 'this country, so no 'Muslims' should be allowed here for
example, or the wearing of any clothing that is part of that (like the
Burka).

Then it's just 'those foreigners' who seem to cause trouble (ignoring
any natives who cause trouble for some reason).

Then there are those who just don't like the ghettoisation by any
non-native people (but are happy with native people doing the same,
like 'inner Londoners' moving out into to certain places in the
country). Not like we do in Spain or anything.

And you have those who don't generally like 'foreigners', except any
of those they have bothered to take the time to talk to and find (in
general) that they are just ordinary people trying to do the best from
themselves and their families.

I have often found that when walking along the pavement and coming
across someone who may be a different colour to me, if I smile at them
and say 'morning' or 'alright (as I generally would anyone) I nearly
always get a smile or reply in return. I do so partly because that's
just what I'm like and partly because, like young people with old, I
want to make it clear I have nothing against them (the number of times
our daughter has smiled or said 'hello' to an elderly person in
passing (or holding a door open etc) and then have completely blanked
her).

When I have actually talked to people about what they call
'foreigners' ... most people will often refine their more blanket
attitude and refine it to one (or more) of the points above. If you
then explain the position from the 'foreigners' POV, some then modify
their previously hard-line views even further (often referencing all
the 'foreigners' they know or have worked with and saying how nice
they were).

I have spoken to many people who have traveled round the world
(typically on motorcycles) and they have *all* said how welcoming and
generous 99.9% of the people they met were, often when they had very
little themselves.

The other .1% were probably just bad people anyway or also 'disliked
foreigners' for some / no reason.

Cheers, T i m