Mary Fisher

Default Strange noise from loft..

"Diphthong" wrote in message
om...
it sounds as if someone is sprinkling rice for a second or two onto the

top of
the ceiling boards. Happens just for a second or two and then nothing else

for
hours or more. Is this typical of mice?
I have noticed it several times in the small hours recently. One time at

about
3am there was quite a fluttering sound, like wings going beserk, which

lasted a
while but it really wasn't the time to get the step ladder out and wake

the
whole household! Sceptical friends have suggest birds perched on the

gutter
can sound as if they're in the loft, or may have dropped small items that

roll
the roof.

Years ago we used to hear small noises from the loft. One day I decided to
investigate and pushed open the trap door.

You know those rolls of old wallpaper you keep up there? One was thrown at
me, I'll swear it didn't just fall. I thought Hitler must be still around.

Spouse went up and found a dead, stinking, squirrel in some more wallpaper
and evidence of at least one other, live one. He put netting over any holes
big enough for them and there was no more noise.

In our case they'd jump to the roof from a tree and somehow gain ingress
once there. I used to see them jumping from the tree while I was sitting at
the computer but thought no more of it.

Mary