Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Gluing Broken MDF

Mike Marlow wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 6:16:00 PM UTC-7, Davoud wrote:
A neighbor is modifying the transom of a door to fit an opening. In
the process he broke the corner off the MDF bottom plate ...
Best glue to repair this break?

Many thanks!

As others have said, any old white glue. When it's dry, give the
surface a pass with a hot iron (use aluminum foil or teflon sheet to
keep paint off the iron). The glue doesn't make much of a seam
bulge, but it goes down quicker with some heat than with sandpaper.

Have never heard anything about using a hot iron to glue up a piece of
wood. Going to call bull**** on that recommendation.

White glue is thermoplastic. I often edge band by applying it to an edge,
let it dry then iron on the edge band (hottest setting). Works well;
however, the wood needs to be thin - up to 1/8" or so - for it to get hot
enough.

An alternative way is to apply a heavy coat, let it dry then spritz lightly
it with water (just enough so it turns white again). The water will make
the surface tacky, easier to align banding - which needs to then be
clamped - and less messy, no squeeze out. This is also a way to apply large
sheets of cloth, paper or whatever to a substrate. No clamping is needed
but the thin sheet of whatever needs to be squeeged on well and the dried
glue on the substrate needs to be smooth (I use a surform plane to smooth
it).