Simon Avery

Default Strange noise from loft..

(Diphthong) wrote:

Hello Diphthong

D| it sounds as if someone is sprinkling rice for a second or
D| two onto the top of the ceiling boards. Happens just for a
D| second or two and then nothing else for hours or more. Is
D| this typical of mice? I have noticed it several times in the
D| small hours recently. One time at about 3am there was quite
D| a fluttering sound, like wings going beserk, which lasted a
D| while but it really wasn't the time to get the step ladder
D| out and wake the

Sounds like bats - although they tend to be more active at dawn/dusk
than 3am. They also dump guano everywhere (almost identical to mouse
crap).

It could be a bird, mouse or squirrel. Check for chewed stuff,
especially wiring and plastic pipes - look behind boxes and in
corners.

If a bird, most likely got trapped and is probably dead by now.

D| Obviously I'd like to seal things up good and proper while
D| still allowing ventilation. Any suggestions? The smallest
D| mesh I can find is 6mm squares, and another usenet posting
D| suggests some small fiends can still get through something
D| even as fine as that!

That'll be fine. I think mice can get down to about 10mm (by
dislocating their jaw) but 6mm is /tiny/. Anything loud enough to
bother you wouldn't stand a chance.

Always put some poison up there just to make sure that you haven't
trapped anything in.

D| If I can find a smaller mesh, would that keep out most wee
D| beasties? Is that yellow-y spray foam stuff suitable for
D| pluggin any other small holes, do rodents feed upon it
D| happily, is it a toxic nightmare to spray it in a confined
D| space on all fours?

You rightly wanted to keep ventilation - ignore expanding foam.

D| The other noise we're getting sounds like something falling
D| down inside the cavity wall... which leads to another
D| question... the top of the cavity wall is open in the loft,
D| so if anything can get into the cavity via the
D| recent conservatory work it can in theory get into the
D| loft. Am I OK to cover the top of the cavity wall, or does
D| it need to 'breathe'?

Yes, it does need to breathe or you could end up with damp walls. Ok
to use mesh over it though, if there is a chance of things getting up.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: