Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Unable to remove Moen faucet cap

Micky writes:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:14:49 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Try he

http://www.moen.com/customer-support...al?id=moen0132

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife.
They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there
is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase.
Using something thinner is probably okay.

Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap
and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out.
I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.

--
Dan Espen