Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unable to remove Moen faucet cap

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty knife
of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the
handle ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2016 5:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty knife
of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the
handle ...

That or a knife blade is what I'd do. If you break it Moen may most
likely have a replacement to sell you although may not be cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty
knife
of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the
handle ...

That or a knife blade is what I'd do. If you break it Moen may most
likely have a replacement to sell you although may not be cheap.

De-grunge the joint with a stiff bristle brush. Maybe let a little
penetrating oil sit around it overnight?

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 8:23:56 AM UTC-7, Wade Garrett quoted:

With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law
abiding citizens€¦

Exactly
Here in Mexifornia, only the cops, crooks, thieves, bank-robbers, car-jackers, home-invaders and gang-bangers are allowed to carry guns
STG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:25:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Yeah. Break the cap and have Moen send you another set for free. Or
buy them, easy peesie.

I hate those cheap acrylic caps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:14:49 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Try he

http://www.moen.com/customer-support...al?id=moen0132

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2016 2:39 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:25:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Yeah. Break the cap and have Moen send you another set for free. Or
buy them, easy peesie.

I hate those cheap acrylic caps.

I bought one that cracked on a fixture.
Once bought a part from Moen and probably paid 4X for what I could get
on Amazon. Same for replacement cartridges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Try he

http://www.moen.com/customer-support...al?id=moen0132

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife.
They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there
is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase.
Using something thinner is probably okay.

Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap
and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out.
I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled
chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even
remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver
or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap.
And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Cha.../dp/B000TFD6C0

Try he

http://www.moen.com/customer-support...al?id=moen0132

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife.

I have a knife that I use as a tool, and for just this sort of thing.
I've never ruined it. Knives have a sharpened edge.

They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there
is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase.
Using something thinner is probably okay.

Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap
and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out.
I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.

Someone who pays more attention to the picture than the words and
soneone who doens't speak English.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is
absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This
is ridiculous!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ap-894124-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, Karl Anderson wrote:
replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and
there is
absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap!
This
is ridiculous!

The caps can take some fiddling with. For the cartridges you can buy a
puller. Few years ago I hired a plumber when 3 small jobs needed doing.
One was the ~40 year old cartridge to be pulled from Moen in shower.
Year before I had pulled one of similar age from the bathtub and luckily
did not break anything using locking pliers and a hammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:14:05 GMT, Karl Anderson
m wrote:

replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is
absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This
is ridiculous!

You have to hold your mouth right when you use a utility knife, tip of
the razor blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is
absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This
is ridiculous!

You have to hold your mouth right when you use a utility knife, tip of
the razor blade.

I heard oren was good at that. Moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to buddygenki, Knitz wrote:
Tiny sewing machine screwdriver worked for me. One of the caps came off by
itself, and I cant find it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ap-894124-.htm

Can't remove faucet cartridge- Moen 1225 Senin Home Repair 13 June 12th 18 07:44 PM
Unable to remove shower valve handle Charlie UK diy 9 August 6th 13 02:35 AM
Old Moen faucet Willie The Wimp Home Repair 2 June 25th 09 06:05 PM
Have you ever taken apart this Moen faucet... Joe Home Repair 3 April 3rd 06 03:22 PM
Moen Kitchen Faucet Ken Home Repair 10 August 2nd 05 02:24 PM