BillR

Default Strange noise from loft..

Diphthong wrote:
it sounds as if someone is sprinkling rice for a second or two onto
the top of the ceiling boards. Happens just for a second or two and
then nothing else for hours or more. Is this typical of mice?
I have noticed it several times in the small hours recently. One time
at about 3am there was quite a fluttering sound, like wings going
beserk, which lasted a while but it really wasn't the time to get the
step ladder out and wake the whole household! Sceptical friends have
suggest birds perched on the gutter can sound as if they're in the
loft, or may have dropped small items that roll the roof.

I can't see anything knawed in the loft, or any droppings.

One side of the house is fairly rough natural stone, easily climbed
by critters I'm sure, and at the top there are plenty of gaps which
the builders tried to plug with some sort of metal mesh (though not
very well) after we complained about the starling we once chased out
of the place.

Obviously I'd like to seal things up good and proper while still
allowing ventilation. Any suggestions? The smallest mesh I can find
is 6mm squares,
and another usenet posting suggests some small fiends can still get
through something even as fine as that!

If I can find a smaller mesh, would that keep out most wee beasties?
Is
that yellow-y spray foam stuff suitable for pluggin any other small
holes,
do rodents feed upon it happily, is it a toxic nightmare to spray it
in a confined space on all fours?

A had a rat in the roof once that ate the fibreglass insulation..

The other noise we're getting sounds like something falling down
inside the cavity wall... which leads to another question... the top
of the cavity wall is open in the loft, so if anything can get into
the cavity via the recent conservatory work it can in theory get
into the loft. Am I OK to cover the top of the cavity wall, or does
it need to 'breathe'?

I just want a quiet loft devoid of all lifeforms from mould upwards
in size! HELP!

thanks.

Mice can get through a space that just allows their skull through, basically
about the size of a pencil.
So mesh unless very fine, won't keep 'em out