Diphthong

Default Strange noise from loft..

it sounds as if someone is sprinkling rice for a second or two onto the top of
the ceiling boards. Happens just for a second or two and then nothing else for
hours or more. Is this typical of mice?
I have noticed it several times in the small hours recently. One time at about
3am there was quite a fluttering sound, like wings going beserk, which lasted a
while but it really wasn't the time to get the step ladder out and wake the
whole household! Sceptical friends have suggest birds perched on the gutter
can sound as if they're in the loft, or may have dropped small items that roll
the roof.

I can't see anything knawed in the loft, or any droppings.

One side of the house is fairly rough natural stone, easily climbed by critters
I'm sure, and at the top there are plenty of gaps which the builders tried to
plug with some sort of metal mesh (though not very well) after we complained
about the starling we once chased out of the place.

Obviously I'd like to seal things up good and proper while still allowing
ventilation. Any suggestions? The smallest mesh I can find is 6mm squares,
and another usenet posting suggests some small fiends can still get through
something even as fine as that!

If I can find a smaller mesh, would that keep out most wee beasties? Is
that yellow-y spray foam stuff suitable for pluggin any other small holes,
do rodents feed upon it happily, is it a toxic nightmare to spray it in a
confined space on all fours?

The other noise we're getting sounds like something falling down inside the
cavity wall... which leads to another question... the top of the cavity wall
is open in the loft, so if anything can get into the cavity via the recent
conservatory work it can in theory get into the loft. Am I OK to cover the
top of the cavity wall, or does it need to 'breathe'?

I just want a quiet loft devoid of all lifeforms from mould upwards in size!
HELP!

thanks.