Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Table Saw Help

On 6/18/2016 3:38 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 6/18/2016 9:19 AM, Meanie wrote:
My portable (on site) 10" Hitachi table saw took a dump the other
day. I disassembled the motor and discovered the winding bearings are
shot. Lowest replacement cost I found is $260 for the motor. As much
as I would love to buy a new full size TS, but that's not gonna
happen. Therefore, I've resorted to the used dept of either size and
currently there are several on CL but I'm uncertain of good brands
and their value other than the likes of Grizzly, Jets, Powermatic,
etc.

I'm asking for suggestions and help to determine value and anything
else you can offer.

Just something to consider if you are going with a used bench top
again.
These saws are not built to last as long as contractor or cabinet
saws
are.
Yours has become unusable, how long will it be before a used one
becomes unusable.

I would agree with Leon's point. If you have space, and
if you don't require portability, I think you would be
much wiser to pursue a contractors saw than a bench-top
saw.

When you say "not sure I like the belt driven motor
sticking out", is that specific to the Ridgid, or a
generic concern about contractor style saws? If the
latter, I don't think you need worry - I've used that
style saw for ages, and don't recall ever having an
issue with the motor or belt.

John

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all.
I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be
easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out
or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it
mobilized which could add to the hindrance.