Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Trade agreements

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:54:40 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:

I just picked up a snippet of information showing that those who said
the UK is already negotiating its own trade deals is wrong as we aren't
allowed to do so whilst in the EU.

This means that we currently have no trade deal with USA, NZ,
Australia, China or India to name but a few.

We are still a member of WTO (twice in fact, directly as the UK where we
pay the membership fees, and indirectly as a member of the EU where no
fees are paid) so that would give as a basic trade deal with other WTO
members.

Yep, I get that.

But it wouldn't be a *free* trade deal, we'd have to re-negotiate those,

and that is where I was told I was wrong (along with others) and
that the UK would *not* need to re-negotiate any trade deals.

It wouldnt, it would be free to trade under the WTO rules,
just like the US, China etc does with the EU currently.

Reference was made to India as an example but what I have
seen clearly states that we have no current trade deal with India.

And dont need to have any to trade with India with Britain outside the EU.