Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Trade agreements

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Mills writes:
On 17/06/2016 12:54, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:

I just picked up a snippet of information showing that those who said
the
UK is already negotiating its own trade deals is wrong as we aren't
allowed to do so whilst in the EU.

This means that we currently have no trade deal with USA, NZ,
Australia,
China or India to name but a few.

We are still a member of WTO (twice in fact, directly as the UK where we
pay the membership fees, and indirectly as a member of the EU where no
fees are paid) so that would give as a basic trade deal with other WTO
members.

But it wouldn't be a *free* trade deal, we'd have to re-negotiate those,
the two years for the EU exit process is rather short for the usual
negotiations, but the carrot to the EU to get their finger out would be
continuing to sell their cars (and windmills, etc) to us without duty
slapped on the price.

It's *much* more important for the EU to ensure that we fail if we're
outside the EU than it is to sell extra German cars to us.

This is the fine line that they will have to walk with their renegotiation

I am not as convinced as you that the German car manufactures (and don't
forget component manufactures) will lose that discussion.

Failure to
ensure we struggle outside the EU will lead to rapid collapse of the whole

It will take 10 years for us to show that being outside can be a success.

Lots of other world events will have happened by then.

tim