Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granitecountertop (poplar corbels)?

On 6/13/2016 8:29 PM, wrote:

8"across top 14 5/32 down the side 3" thick

Corbels are most often used to support the cantilevered (overhang)
portion of counter tops.

IMPORTANT: The cantilevered/overhang portion of a counter top is
generally 1/3rd of the total depth of the material ... IOW 24" of
granite supported by a cabinet or island, with a 12" cantilevered
overhang, and depending upon the thickness of the material, is
acceptable for most counter top material.

Granite in particular, and depending upon the thickness and type, can
generally have a overhang (cantilevered part) of 12" without any
support, on average.

So, as long as you are within the 2/3rd's supported - 1/3rd overhang
rule, most any corbel will be basically decorative, and not structural.

So yes, poplar should do just fine in that situation.

Wooden corbels are most often made of poplar these days, so you should
be fine ... I use poplar to make my own corbels for granite counter tops
all the time:

https://photos.google.com/search/cor...xAAPLABwUQHDCa

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com