Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Chainsaw

"Clive George" wrote in message
..

Someone on here mentioned plastic gears and I don't know whether
they were serious or not.

It was me, and I was serious - the cheap electric chainsaw died in a couple of hours
use, and on examination the problem turned out to be melted plastic bits.

Any chance of the brand, so others can be forwarned ? And were they
actually gears ? To me this would be a straight case for SOGA
or whatever its called nowadays. Clearly unfit for purpose.
A burned out motor which maybe melted other stuff might be
diffferent.

The one which died was being used to chop up wood on the ground, much like NT is
proposing to do, albeit with smaller logs. The duty cycle was far too high for the
device - and I reckon NT's project will present similar or worse.

It was clearly unsuitable for continuous use. But what sort
of duty cycle were you subjecting it to, in sawing up small
logs ?

I use a cheapo tesco blender - basically a stick blender with
a closed bowl - to grind peanuts for garden wildlife. But
I only use it in ten second bursts with 20 second breaks
in between as it starts to smell after that. I can easily grind
1kg in a couple of minutes. I've been using the same blender for
years now (As is always the case when you buy one or two spares.)
With a chainsaw I've never had occasion to use for say more
than 30 seconds bursts. On the ground I regularly stop to secure
the work, while in a tree I regularly need to change the angle
of the cut and reassess how things are going. And its safer
off than on.

This would probably be one of the advantages of petrol chainsaws
however. No worries about continuous use.

michael adams