Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Thus spake a kipper...

Nightjar wrote:
On 13-Jun-16 10:58 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 12-Jun-16 7:59 PM, Fredxxx wrote:
On 12/06/2016 19:56, Adrian wrote:
You mean if we stay in the EU

We are very unlikely to leave, even if the first referendum results in
a leave win. The government and a large majority of MPs want us to
stay.

So if Leave wins by say 60/40, they'll just ignore it, you mean?

That is an improbable result. However, as I have said before, what I
expect to happen if the vote is to leave is that the government will
to a second referendum. If the public don't get that one right, then
ignoring the vote would be an option, although they might go through
the motions of putting legislation to parliament, in the knowledge
that the vast majority of MPs support remain and will vote it down. It
is, after all, what the leave party say they want - the UK government
making all the decisions.

The purpose of a referendum is that the people make the decisions
and the government has a mandate to execute them.