Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Course hand saw for resawing

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:37:31 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:w8q6z.11518
:

Those are the saws that are used on Hardwoods. How many of you
use a handsaw on hardwood ? Most use it on pine or sometimes ply.

What? I think I agree with Larry, you're just making absurd
statements to troll the group.

Of course I use a handsaw on hardwoods. So, I'm guessing, does
everyone else in the group (you, perhaps, excepted). This is
a group for cabinetry after all, not carpentry.

Offhand I can't recall ever using a handsaw on ply.

John

He is arguing about a specific saw that was marketed by disston for
a very short period of time, suitable for one purpose fine
accurate cuts in thin stock, if he bothered to check on the disston
website , it also states that many tradesmen actually added set to the
saw.

This was one of the reasons why it got dropped , although a fantastic
product its market was limited as other saws were just as good but
serviced a larger section of he marketplace.

The manufacturing process for sawblades in the 1800s couldnt produce
the fine grade steel with suitable tensile strength , blades were
generally a lot thicker than they are today to take out the whip .