Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Immersion heater timer

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 13:28:44 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 09/06/2016 09:56, F wrote:

I seem to remember the presence of a bunch of unprotected terminals from
the last time I looked many moons ago.

And I remembered correctly: scary!

There is a thermostat and it was wound all the way up to maximum at 180C!

It's now down at 60C.

Now I just need to find a timer at a reasonable price.

As I was on Economy 7 I installed a timer some ~30yrs ago - it was/is
fully mechanical but a modern equivalent looks like:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT01.html

I also had a switch between the timer and the tank so that I could
turn the immersion heater off without messing with the timer.

If you ever have to remove the thermostat don't waste your time with a
cheapo spanner. I struggled and started to buckle the top of the tank
and then bought a box spanner for a couple of quid more and it worked
immediately.

--
AnthonyL