Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default Immersion heater timer

On 09/06/2016 18:29, ARW wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 09/06/2016 14:22, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

There is a thermostat and it was wound all the way up to maximum at
180C!

Sure that's not Fahrenheit? 180F = ~82C

If your immersion was really able to reach 180C, boiling-over would be
the least of your problems

Doh! I'm so used to using C that I forgot to add the F!

You forgot your own name?:-)

As it happens, the thermostat may well be pretty much stuck 'on'. Set
to 120F (I decided to reduce it a little bearing in mind the risk of
pain to the unwary) it is getting pretty hot. Winding the adjuster
back and forth a few times elicits clicks most, but not all, of the time.

The only positive outcome today has been the opportunity to use my
Aldi 'headlamp' for the first time. Seriously useful.

Your first job should be to swap the old stat for a dual safety stat
that uses these new fangled Cs. It's actually quite easy in most cases
(apart from when a plumber passes a pipe across the top of it etc).

Post a photo of what you have if you are not sure.

The 18" stats, the most common size, are £10.79 in SF.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-safet...ostat-18/89445

Thanks. Image at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...0heater%20stat