Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washine machine discharge pump - how fast?

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 13:09:41 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 09/06/2016 07:15, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 9 June 2016 06:59:42 UTC+1, harry wrote:

The pumping out is not a timed operation, the pump runs until the machine is empty.

bzzt wrong answer

Can you expand on that please? I ask as on the few machines I've used
the pumps seemed to operate until the machine is "empty"[1], not for a
timed period. My main evidence for that is their behaviour (a) when
used on different cycles with different water levels; and (b) when used
to spin stuff put in wet, or to spin after being paused. In those circs.
the pump operated for a varying periods before starting the spin cycle,
not for a fixed time.

[1] taking empty to mean "negligible more water can be pumped"

Washing machines don't normally have a water empty sensor, so they just pump for enough time. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they've started monitoring pump current now to see when to stop, saving energy, but I've never had one that does that.

NT