Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Washine machine discharge pump - how fast?

On 09/06/2016 11:58, newshound wrote:
On 6/9/2016 8:17 AM, RJH wrote:
On 09/06/2016 06:59, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 21:34:02 UTC+1,
wrote:
We want to move our washing machine to a location in the house where
drainage will be difficult. We *could* run 50mm pipe round about 8m
of walls with some AAVs, but it seems more sensible to use a pump,
most likely a Grundfos Sololift2 C-3 unless anyone has anything to
say about it.

To get the right sizing of outlet pipe, we need to estimate the
inflow (too small, and the flow will be noisy, too large and the flow
will be too slow to self-clean).

Anyone have any idea even vaguely how fast a modern washing machine
pump chucks water out?

The pumping out is not a timed operation, the pump runs until the
machine is empty.
However with a long small pipe, you can expect blockages, be sure to
leave rodding/cleaning out points.
You must have a fall, horizontal runs will cause problems.

You can buy a ready made pump system BTW.
This will be more trouble free.

http://www.saniflo.com/homeowners/sf...-laundry-room/

I looked at those, to pump washing machine waste from a cellar. When I
checked with Saniflow (about 2 years back) they confirmed that their
pumps would not handle a hot wash - which made them pretty limited for
me (I like to run a hot wash every 6 months or so).

I can confirm that this can be an issue. Many years ago when kids were
at home and I had a combi, you didn't get hot water in the shower room
when it was being run elsewhere. One morning, boy in shower room left
hot tap on presumably waiting for girl elsewhere to stop using water.
Evidently gave up in disgust and went to school leaving tap wide open
(but not running).

A couple of hours later I had a call from disabled granny alone in the
house with water coming through kitchen ceiling. Bottom line, the shower
room sink drains to a saniflo. After running hot water for some time,
the saniflo tripped out. Once the shower tray had filled up with
undrained hot water from the sink, it overflowed ending up in the
kitchen below.

However, I would have thought that with modern low consumption washing
machines, the volume from a hot wash would not normally overwhelm a
saniflo.

It was the water temperature (60C max), not the volume of water I was
referring to.

Although a quick look at the data sheet suggests that the Saniflo
discharges at a third of the rate of the Grundfos (c.1.2 vs 3.4 litres/s)

--
Cheers, Rob