Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Immersion heater timer

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:50:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:27:55 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 10:44:25 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

I would need to replace the present immersion heater switch with a 13
amp socket and put a plug on the heater lead to plug it into the timer.
Any problems there?

I wouldn't recommend it. It's OK for other 3kW devices like kettles
which are used intermittently, but not really a good idea for immersions
IMO.

I did wire up the immersion in a previous house with a plug and socket -
good quality (MK) ones - but the plug got too warm for my taste and more
so when the door to the cupboard was closed. I replaced it with a FSU
in the end. That was for a pretty old immersion like yours which does
probably pull the full 3kW. A modern one might be "eco" and draw less
current.

How is less than 3kW eco? It just takes longer to heat the tank.

And wastes a bit more heat in the process, so actually uses more
energy than a rapid heat-up. But that's Euro-logic for you! Goes with
the proposed ban on high-power kettles, toasters, you-name-it.
http://tinyurl.com/mbr644x (I gather the kettles thing is on hold ATM,
for fear of giving more fuel to the Brexit campaign, but no doubt if
Brexit fails, it'll be back on the agenda toot-sweet, as they don't
say in France).

The only way a low powered kettle would save electricity is making us so ****ing impatient we don't bother with hot drinks any more.

Anyway, why are we saving electricity? Electricity is a renewable resource, it can be created from anything.

And the amounts used for vacuum cleaners, kettles, etc are miniscule compared with heating.

--
FREE TIBET!!!! (with purchase of 1 mainland china)