Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Course hand saw for resawing

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 22:57:52 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Set in the teeth makes it a crosscut. If you have a "saw set" a
tool like a Pliers with a anvil and a press pin that bends a tooth
to one side. Move and do every other one. Then rotate the saw and
work down the other teeth pressing them off center like the others.

Both crosscut and rip have set

To convert - press the teeth back into line - e.g. press the wrong tooth
to the center line working on both sides.

How to ruin a saw , doing that can cause stress fractures in the base
of the tooth, if you wish to convert a crosscut to a rip for small
section timber you need to re cut the teeth set then sharpen

A converted saw is not really suitable for large scale ripping, the
blades are not generally thick enough to cope.

Better to buy a rip saw

Martin

On 5/31/2016 10:09 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/30/2016 6:04 PM, Michael wrote:
I'm making some oak and cedar boxes with hand tools only, and I want
to resaw 3/4 inch boards to 1/4. My current hand saw takes about a
year and a half to get the job done, and I'm wondering if I'm better
off buying a course cutting hand saw, maybe a 9 pt or so. Does anyone
have any experience or advice for this project?

Thanks,

Mike

The current crop of saws are crosscut only. Get an old RIP saw. put a
file on the teeth and go for it.