Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Course hand saw for resawing

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 3:04:21 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
I'm making some oak and cedar boxes with hand tools only, and I want to resaw 3/4 inch boards to 1/4. My current hand saw takes about a year and a half to get the job done

You want a rip saw (or resharpen a saw to give it rip teeth). Me, I'd use a
table saw, making two nearly half-through cuts with a narrow kerf blade, then finish
the cut with a handsaw (it'll take some planing, too).

A rip saw (backless handsaw type) typically has 5 teeth/inch and no top bevel on the teeth.
They're fast and easy for rip-to-width chores, but resawing makes a lot more sawdust per inch.

Pros use bandsaws with rip blades, of course.