Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Course hand saw for resawing

On 5/30/2016 5:04 PM, Michael wrote:
I'm making some oak and cedar boxes with hand tools only, and I want to resaw 3/4 inch boards to 1/4. My current hand saw takes about a year and a half to get the job done, and I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a course cutting hand saw, maybe a 9 pt or so. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this project?

Too young/small to operate it, but watched my grandfather use a frame
saw to resaw. The old shop in England I worked in briefly had them, but
being low on the totem pole I wasn't allowed to use.

Lot of effort regardless, but if I were forced to do it, I would
investigate going that route. Probably big toothed, set to rip, and
sharp as possible.

I recall seeing numerous plans in years past in magazines. Internet has
to full of them.

I do know that making things by hand, with tools you also made, triples
the satisfaction factor.

Good luck.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com