Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring electric baseboard

On Mon, 30 May 2016 05:57:44 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Mon, 30 May 2016 02:46:57 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 02:23:31 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

7.9 volts lost 12/2 at 100ft
4.97 volts lost on 10/2 at 100ft

240-7.9=232.1 on the 12ga
240-4.97=235 on the 10ga

And that's due entirely to distance with no loads present on the
line yet.

With no load, there is no voltage drop at all.

The voltage drop is due to the wire's own resistance, and the
distance the voltage must travel. The wire we're using isn't a super
conductor. It has a certain amount of resistance to it. As a result,
some volts are no longer available to us, we spent them getting the
rest down the line. Nothing for free, you know.

Voltage drop still depends on the load. If there is no load, there is
no voltage drop. If you have a wire with no load at all, there will be
full circuit voltage at both ends.

Watts is watts, man. Available voltage determines how many amps it's
going to take to get them, though. Lower voltage=more amps to do the
same job.

If you have a lower voltage, the watts will be lower. In our example,
that 1500 watt heater (at 240v) will be 1407 watts at 232v. Current
will actually be less, not more.