Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

Mon, 30 May 2016 02:46:57 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 02:23:31 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

7.9 volts lost 12/2 at 100ft
4.97 volts lost on 10/2 at 100ft

240-7.9=232.1 on the 12ga
240-4.97=235 on the 10ga

And that's due entirely to distance with no loads present on the
line yet.

With no load, there is no voltage drop at all.

The voltage drop is due to the wire's own resistance, and the
distance the voltage must travel. The wire we're using isn't a super
conductor. It has a certain amount of resistance to it. As a result,
some volts are no longer available to us, we spent them getting the
rest down the line. Nothing for free, you know.

Watts is watts, man. Available voltage determines how many amps it's
going to take to get them, though. Lower voltage=more amps to do the
same job.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That