Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

Sat, 28 May 2016 23:17:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2016 20:04:33 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Thu, 26 May 2016 05:50:22 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

"Continuous load" means you size the circuit to 125% of total
load (14.6*1.25=18.25a)
so 18.25a is OK on a 12 ga wire with a 20a breaker

You're going over the 80% trade standard load (16amps on a 20amp
circuit) at that point,

Excuse me but the load is 14.6a. The 18.25a IS 125% of the load so
the 80% has been accounted for.

I sincerely do apologize for having missed that in my original reply
to you. With that said, I'd still have opted for 10/2 to feed them,
and come off the feed with a 12/2 for each heater. This reduces heat
creation along the wire, extends the life of the chosen wire, ensures
the greatest possible amount of power is available to each heater on
the circuit.

Although power loss will still occur at the last one, the voltage
drop won't be as bad as it would have been with a 12/2 run from the
panel; and the feed wire won't run as hot supplying power to an
individual heater or all of them at the same time. A bit more costly,
but, a decent enough tradeoff imo, that I would personally have used
10/2.

As I said though, at the end of the day, it all looks great from
here.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That