Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny DiAmico[_2_] Danny DiAmico[_2_] is offline

Default SOLVED: Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine"popped"

On Thu, 26 May 2016 10:15:34 -0700, Oren wrote:

Maybe I could give a lesson on 'women folk on my case'. No Honey Do
List, it's a "dead line list". I made it through Tuesday (LMAO).

Hi Oren,

The good news is that the rebuilt Whirlpool motor control board from
circuit board medics worked fine.

So all that matters now is the lesson learned for others.

Total cost was $165 + about $20 (I forget exactly how much shipping was)
and the turnaround time was atrocious but that's partly my fault since I
was unsure of how to proceed. Normal turnaround time should be four to
five days to get there, a day or two to test & rebuild, and then four or
five days to get back (it was from California to North Carolina and I
didn't pay the $40 for two-day shipping by Fedex).

A brand new board at a local appliance store would be $191 + about 10% tax
with a turnaround time of 1 day (let's double that, to two days or three
days to be safe).

Seems like a no brainer, in hindsight. The one thing is that the circuit
board medics did test the computer control board in addition to the motor
control board, so, in essence, we have to factor in that costs somewhere.

The DIAGNOSTIC lesson learned is pretty simple, but it's only something
that is learned from experience (which the circuit board medics did have).

If a Whirlpool duet Sport has an F28 (or F11 on Kenmore models), then
almost certainly it's the Motor Control Board, so, the FIRST THING you
should do for diagnostics is simply remove the back washer plate, remove
the lower brace, and remove the motor control board.

You *will* break every one of the four of five cheap plastic tie-wrap
butterfly anchors. I simply duct taped the new wires back in place but a
more elegant solution would have been to purchase a few of those anchor
clips.

Once you remove the motor control board, you will see black spots, which
is your confirmation of failure.

In the end, that is the simplest advice for an F28 (or F11) communications
error. The advice only works because the circuit board medics said an F28
communications error is 99% of the time the motor control board (or the
blue wires going to it fell off).