Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard

Thu, 26 May 2016 05:50:22 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

"Continuous load" means you size the circuit to 125% of total load
(14.6*1.25=18.25a)
so 18.25a is OK on a 12 ga wire with a 20a breaker

You're going over the 80% trade standard load (16amps on a 20amp
circuit) at that point, though...If you're going over 50ft or so, I'd
probably use 10/2wg for the main run and come off that with a 12/2wg
tail for each of the heater units. As each tail is only going to be
asked to carry whatever heater it's connected to will ask for, not the
combined load for all of them.

While I wouldn't expect to see an overheat fire risk situation using
12/2wg for the main run (If it's not for a long distance run...), I'd
feel better knowing the main line I ran to feed them was more than upto
the task and wasn't near full capacity if I ran one or all of the
heaters at the same time.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That