Posted to uk.d-i-y
critcher[_5_] critcher[_5_] is offline

Default Riverside Cottage

On 21/05/2016 11:47, Capitol wrote:

Have you considered new durable species timber windows to match the
existing? (but with deeper whatsits.)

Not yet. This will be out last house and I am trying to avoid
predictable maintenance.

hence I said durable species.

If you go for ali windows, beware of colour finishes such as powder
coating. Nothing sticks well to ali, lumps come off in time. They only
reliable way to colour ali is anodisation.

OK. There doesn't seem to be a raft of disgruntled powder paint owners
out there.

Well, that's how ali is. Nothing sticks to it forever. Google can
confirm.

NT

My experience is that externally mounted sealed units mist when the
seals fail. PVC does lose it's shine, but who cares? My units still are
white after 35 years. My aluminium windows are 40 yrs old and the
white paint finish is still as good as new.

had my plastics in since 1976, south facing and still clean and white.