Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Knob & Tube wiring - when did it stop?

On Sun, 22 May 2016 06:47:07 -0500, My 2 Cents wrote:

On 5/21/2016 10:44 AM, engineer/realtor wrote:

Looks like it was used till the 1930's and is still used in some
"agricultural" applications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring
My old house still has it, and you can still buy or sell the stuff.

I love that.

http://www.sundialwire.com/porcelainknob.aspx

If I were younger and more energetic, I'd rewire my house this way and
see if the insurance company cancelled me.

"BUILDING CODES PROHIBIT REPAIRING EXISTING KNOB AND TUBE WIRING IN
BUILDINGS. IT MUST BE FULLY REPLACED IF IT IS TO BE ALTERED. PLEASE
CONSULT YOUR BUILDING INSPECTOR BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO EXISTING
KNOB AND TUBE WIRING. THIS WIRE IS INTENDED FOR MUSEUM, THEATRICAL,
AND NON-BUILDING WIRING. " They say that, but it's really used for
repairs, right? And the vendor knows it? Anytime a vendor says
"intended" that's just covering their back, right?