Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Aldi sliding mitre saw review

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The steel cutting disk isnt perfect in the sense that you
do get a bit of flange of steel that you need to trim with
an angle grinder after cutting it and I've always had
some reservations about what it would be like if the disk
comes apart in use. Not that I have ever had one fail.

The trick is to change the disc frequently as they seem to blunt.

Never saw anything like that myself.

They're cheap enough. And not 'force' it through
the work too hard. That minimises any lip.

You still get a lip that needs to be dealt with and since
I normally do that with 4" angle grinder it really doesn’t matter
if its minimised if you need to use the angle grinder at all.

That is the big potential advantage of a toothed cutting disk,
in theory there should be no lip at all. But obviously the blades
are much more expensive, which is why I haven't tried doing it
that way yet, and why I asked how well it works on Speedframe.

And with painted Speedframe, prevents damage to the paint.

Not a major consideration for me because I normally weld the
Speedframe corners instead of using the tap in corners.

Also it might depend on the speed of your saw.
The angle grinder is optimised for discs.

But I prefer to use the circular saw, much easier to do
a cutoff saw with a hand held circular saw than with
an angle grinder and I need the big metal cutting disks
for the other RHS cutting. I do quite a bit of stuff with
50x50mm RHS, particularly the big gate and the frame
for the 20' long kitchen bench which is cantilevered off
the wall with no legs at all so you can put anything you
like in the way of cupboards, dishwashers, small upright
freezers the size of bar fridges under that and rearrange
them any time you need to when say a dishwasher dies
and is replaced or even have two of them etc.

That bench runs the entire length of that side of the
kitchen with a block wall return at either end of it
so the whole thing is cantilevered with no legs at all.

And now with multiple real cutoff saws, the choice is
14" metal cutoff disks or one of those toothed metal
cutting disks.

But most will need a rub with a file etc after cutting.

I don’t need to because I arc weld the corners and paint
them after welding.