Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Knob & Tube wiring - when did it stop?

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 12:03:43 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 17:50:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:07:52 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
if anyone has K&T in a home, call state farm or other homeowners insurance companies, and ask about buying a new policy.

sorry no will be the response.

since anyone who buys a home with a mortage must have homeowners insurance. it makes the home impossible to sell......

Unless it sells for cash...

Hmm. I have a friend who bought a house like that about 4 years ago
and I don't think he had enough money to pay cash.

I liked it, because it was old, but he replaced all the wiring
himself, and a lot of other stuff. I don't know what he did about
insurance. I'm sure he bought some.

Here's an interesting coincidence...

My first recollection of knob and tube wring is noticing the remains of it at my
Great-Aunt's house. She was my beloved Godmother and I some a lot of time in her
house while growing up. The knobs and some of the cables could be seen in the
joist bays of the dirt floor basement. That wiring is one of my first recollections of
being interesting in how houses worked.

My current house, which my Godmother gave me a chunk of money for, still has some
of the next generation wiring, braided cloth sheathed NM (what some people call
cloth covered Romex). On the jacket of some of the cable is the name of the manufacturer:
Narragansett.

Ok, here comes the coincidence...

My Godmother's house is located on Narragansett Blvd. When I see that cable in my
basement, it often reminds me of Ciocia Josie and her really neat old house. I like to think
she's still around, still making sure I'm OK.