Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Aldi sliding mitre saw review

On 5/21/2016 7:18 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
On 5/20/2016 8:09 AM, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 13:40:39 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

A quick review - it's still in stock at £79.99.

Solidly built, all metal base, fast cutting, very clean cutting.
Turntable has no position lock, but it doesn't need one due to the firm
engagement of angular positions. What it's like if you're cutting an
odd
angle without an indentation I don't know. Max cut length over 12", max
cut depth 7.7cm. The motor is angled upward giving welcome space, and
the cutting head can tilt in both directions (left & right) upto 45
degrees.

The cons:

The release whatsit that enables the head to go down is plastic. The
saw
will work fine if it gets broken, but it wouldn't then be workplace
legal. Not hard to fabricate one, but then you'd have a modified saw.

The turntable angle pointer is also plastic. It's only needed for odd
angle cuts.

The laser points down the centre of the cut line, not down one edge.

The spring pushing the cutting head up is OTT. If you're using the
saw a
lot it creates more fatigue than necessary.

Overall a good performing saw, but wouldn't say no to a few minor
design
points sorting.

A couple of years ago, somebody here recommended the Evolution saws.

£100 at Screwfix, but there's always B- and C-grade on eBay from their
official outlet store.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112000231085

The B-grade I bought has stood up very, VERY well to reasonably heavy
domestic use - the "B-gradeness" of it seemed to be an ex-display model,
with a couple of holes drilled in the legs to secure it. The blade was
brand new, and there were no other signs of use.

Gotta be a better bet than an Aldidl one with some design problems.

Glad you posted that, I have one of these too and was thinking exactly
the same thing. The Evolution blade will also cut aluminium and steel,
very useful (but you get sprayed with sharp chips). Very good for
cutting dexion.

Which dexion are you talking about, the roughly 5x3" angle with
very large holes in it for bolts, or the 25mm square black slotted
tube with knock in corners ?

There are two sizes of the perforated angle iron, more like 4 x 2 or 2 x
2. Over here we tend to call the square stuff speedframe.

It's fine for cutting either of them.