Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Jigsaw jams too often

On 5/19/2016 7:55 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 12:04:39 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I buy refurb electronics all of the time, and have for a lot of years.
Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought. Often
times the refurb process is to simply replace the offending part with
brand new and make it available.

I haven't bought a new computer since I retired. We've got 4 at
present. One of them develops problems about once a year. I go down to
our local recycler and pick up a refurbished one, usually faster and with
more memory, for $100 or so.

I've even had good luck with garage sale ones :-).

4 years is a pretty good lifespan - even if a new one would last longer,
which is not a given, it'd be obsolete by then.

As best I can remember, I've had one refurbished one fail a week after I
got it. It was replaced promptly. I had one from a garage sale fail,
but I only paid $25 for it and I got some usable DIMMs and a good hard
drive out of it.

But I do frequent backups so I never lose much, if anything, when one of
the computers dies. If it was a business, I wouldn't trust anything but
a new computer from a company like HP and I'd be sure to use RAID disks
on it and do daily backups.

HP's are not like they were a while back.
Our Gen 9's started rebooting.. Turns out it's a feature.
Except our customers were not happy about the new feature.. Neither were
we. We had serious issues with Gen 9's... systems that failed
miserably, machines that would reset the date every few minutes.
Required a new driver... WHAT!! a driver for the date?? Yep HP is driver
happy.
We moved to CISCO's... looks like they don't QA their machines. Every
machine failed, and required replacement parts .. of course you buy new,
but the parts are refurbs. And many of them failed. (not a knock on
refurbs since I have done well with refurbs).

Now we are moving on to Lenovo servers, and we'll see how they go.

One of my customers decided to host with Dell in Dell's data center. So
it's all Dell. It's turning out the numbers from them are slower than
equiv equipment elsewhere. Real slow. So I'm not impressed with them,and
they have been working on it. Their i/o is so slow, since we can't see
what they've done I can't tell if its config or machines. The SAN is
brand new, and we are the only ones on it.

And that's why it's getting harder to figure out who's king right now.

But there is a lot to be unimpressed about.

--
Jeff